How to figure out calories burned...?

Options
Okay, so thanks to some wonderful suggestions today about great workout dvds, I picked one up tonight.... The Biggest Loser - Last Chance Workout. Tonight I'm going to do the Warm-up, Cool-down and Last Chance Workout... how do I even begin to figure out how many calories that is??

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here's something that has helped me in the past:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

You really need a HRM though, they are a lifesaver and get you a very accurate reading, otherwise you are basically just guestimating.
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    HRM ( heart rate monitor) worth the money I got one for Mom's day, my son, 17, got it from Costco under 60.00 and it cam with the strap....made a huge difference...you could use cardio trainer til then...great app but it is merely a guess of calories burned because it doesn't know your intensity! Good luck to you!
  • kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    titletown - Thanks for the recommendation of the web site. That's cool.

Off topic - I just happened to see you've been stuck on a plateau for a while. Based on what I know, there are at least three possibilities:

1. Your exercise is being set off by your calorie intake. In other words, it's static and you're not creating enough of a calorie deficit.

2. If you're that close to your goal weight, you might need to change strategies. If you're generating too high of a calorie deficit, your body will hang onto the weight. Your daily calorie deficit should be no more than 500 once you're within about 15 to 20 pounds of your ideal/goal weight. It will take longer for your body to lose the weight, but it should come off.

3. You need to see your doctor because something might be medically interfering with your efforts.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    I really do need an HRM... will have to look for one soon... what kind do you all have?
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    kravmom,

It's definitely #2, I had no issues the entire first 90+ lbs, but I've been not eating back most of my workout calories and it finally caught up with me as I near my ultimate goal.

I just started zig-zagging my calories yesterday and this morning I was just 2/10 of a lb above the lowest weight I've hit, so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I'll be back on a downward trend.

Just had a checkup with my Dr last week and got a 100% clean bill of health.

nburns325, sorry for hijacking your thread.
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    i have the polar FT4, works great.

You can also take your pulse at each stage, and come up with a rough average of your pulse rate over the time period, and plug that into the calculator. it won't be perfect, but it'll give you an idea. i found it better to do 15 seconds of pulse count x4 to get heart rate than to do 6 or 10 seconds. I got tired of doing it, so i got the HRM. I never overestimated doing it that way according to the HRM.