Macros? Carb cycling !?

Options
Hi :) I'm currantly working on my macros and trying to figure out where I need to be , I know mfp gives you macros but I wasn't seeing results in weight loss . I've started carb cycling this week and it's going pretty good but I'm just wondering is there a certain way to know what your macros should be ? I've searched an searched maybe I've missed something but I don't see anything that explains how to set your macros . I'm 5'2 220 lbs my first set goal is to get to 200 then on to onderland :) thanks for any help or advice

Replies

• Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/ is one of many you can use.

Also, do you mean set your macros in MFP, changing from the default? Or what range should it be set to. Are you lifting or doing resistance training? That would affect the numbers also.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stop the Carb cycling you have plenty of energy stored up as I did when I was 100 lbs heavier.

Get your calories in check

use these as minimums you have to hit everyday going over isn't going to hurt you unless your total calorie intake is higher than you burn a day.

Based off 200lbs

Minimum 120 grams protein .6 x desired weight 20lbs at a time loss
    Minimum 80 fat grams .4 x desired weight 20lbs loss at a time loss

Daily Macros weekly calories- Move more sit less it does work!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have found counting calories is more important than obsessing over MACROS. I do watch mine because I just feel best when they are all about even by % of calories. I did carb cycle using a program of Chris Powell's but found it not very sustainable. I do cycle slightly now by increasing my carb % on days I do more cardio.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of resources online regarding macro settings and carb cycling, all easily searchable via google. However, unless you're bodybuilding, losing vanity pounds, or working on body comp, calories are more important. I've personally found that a 40/40/20 (carbs/fat/protein) or 50/30/20 works well for me. This is partially due to the fact that choking down 40-50% of your calories in protein is really hard work and keeps you full forever. I have trouble hitting 1300cal most days and often find myself chugging protein shakes at 9pm.
  • Brandyrhodes40
    Brandyrhodes40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 times a week Monday Wednesday Friday I do 2 a days 1st core training and cardio then resistance training along with cardio and Tuesday and Thursday I do pure cardio . I don't obsess over macros I keep my calorie intake and output on point . I've noticed somehow I take in a lot fat ugh and I just am not sure how that happens I eat clean , so I decided to work toward macros and I've carb cycled this week and haven't went over my fat% all week so far . It seems to be working for me as far as keeping my % in macros under control . I guess I'll know if it really is working when weigh day comes . I do want my macros in mfp different the default was way to high in carbs for me .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I work out 5 times a week Monday Wednesday Friday I do 2 a days 1st core training and cardio then resistance training along with cardio and Tuesday and Thursday I do pure cardio . I don't obsess over macros I keep my calorie intake and output on point . I've noticed somehow I take in a lot fat ugh and I just am not sure how that happens I eat clean , so I decided to work toward macros and I've carb cycled this week and haven't went over my fat% all week so far . It seems to be working for me as far as keeping my % in macros under control . I guess I'll know if it really is working when weigh day comes . I do want my macros in mfp different the default was way to high in carbs for me .

There is nothing wrong with taking in a lot of fat. It actually can support improved cholesterol and triglycerides (especially unsaturated fats). The main thing that matters is calories. That is what determines fat loss. Macronutrients are to support things like satiety (protein/fiber), energy (carbs), muscle retention (protein and even carbs), nutrient absorption (fat) and hormone regulation (fat). And while there is nothing wrong with carb cycling, it may be over complicating things currently.

Side note, if you don't mind, it will probably be more beneficial if you have a structured lifting program, like the ones in this list. They are all progressive overload and focused on compound moves.