Eating when tired

Options
nikkih7868
nikkih7868 Posts: 5 Member
Hiya, I am a Mum to two very energetic kids 5 & 3 and also work Full Time. I stick to plan really well during the day but as soon as that tiredness sets in after work/in the evening all I want to do is eat rubbish food! Something healthy will not do it, it's not that I am hungry I just NEED sugar!

Any advise would be really appreciated xx

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Do you really NEED sugar as in a medical condition? or is this binge related or is it that you do not allow anything sweet in your diet to begin with and you are sort rebelling against the diet?

Do tell why you need this sugar!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You probably do need a quick acting energy source trying to keep up with a 5 and 3 year old, that might be what your body is trying to tell you, it needs fuel to function.

First, try having a slow acting energy source about an hour prior to going home - some kind of protein based snack like yogurt or cheese or nuts or tuna fish.

Second, keep a healthy quick energy source that meets your health goals at home - like fruit or green tea with honey or baked potato.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do everything you can to get enough restful sleep at night and to have a day with some down time to relax.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We had a wellness thing at work a couple days ago and the presenter said the same area of the brain that regulates sleep is responsible for regulating hunger. The insinuation was basically that sometimes when you think you're hungry you're actually probably just tired.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Do everything you can to get enough restful sleep at night and to have a day with some down time to relax.

While I think sleep is "king", there is something going on with OP having this insane craving for "rubbish" food/ sugar at night!

Think about it, she is NOT hungry, she wants to eat in her words "rubbish" or "NEEDS" sugar, and I predict could be heavy restriction going on during the day perhaps, or there is a mental/emotional tie to this NEED because this is absolutely not related to true hunger in any capacity.

This could also be a crazy way to also say its my time of the month as well!
  • nikkih7868
    nikkih7868 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry my NEED is not medical related. I can't seem to identify if its an emotional tie or if I am lacking sugar during the day.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

For the next couple of days I am going to add in a healthy/sweet snack and see if I feel better for it. If not then maybe it is an emotional tie/habit from being pregnant and being told to have sugary snacks when I felt I needed them.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    have you tried drinking herbal tea? A nice lavender and camomile cup with a little honey and lemon to sip on while you relax instead of munching.