Body Pump vs Lifting Heavy ??

Options
Been doing Body Pump for couple of years now, alongside cardio, and have lost weight and built muscle. However I keep reading that heavier weights in gym would be better. Reluctant to leave pump as it got me this far. Interested for second opinions.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    What do you enjoy?
    What will you still be doing and enjoying in six months from now?
    Why does it have to be one or the other?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Until you start not seeing the results that you want to see, I think sticking with what you like is fine.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What are you reading that states heavier weights in a gym are better? Better for what?

Or is it that you have a different goal in mind in which body pump is no longer delivering or will not take you where you want to go?

• ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did exactly that and I am so happy I did! I will always be grateful because BodyPump really got me quite far and I went into my first lifting program with a lot of knowledge and a comfort level that I definitely wouldn't have had otherwise. Once I hit a point where I couldn't really progress further in class (due to the high number of reps + lack of a rack), I knew it was time for a change. I started with the Strong Curves programs (book by Bret Contreras and Kellie Hart Davis), which I highly recommend.

One caveat: I did have to re-evaluate how I was eating because heavier lifting made me SO MUCH MORE hungry at first. I could no longer keep such a steep deficit because it led to binge eating when I just couldn't take it anymore. But again, I am so so glad I did it and there is nothing like hitting a deadlift PR and feeling like a badass warrior princess.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything I read online that isn't by Les Mills states lifting heavy is better for building muscle and boosting metabolism. My goals are to continue to lose fat whilst building muscle. I enjoy classes, and would like to still do one a week.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting gave ME better results than body pump. To me body pump was like doing cardio using weights. There were so many reps that all I really got was a pump, not muscle growth.

However, the instructor and many regulars in the class I was going to had great physiques, real muscles and can body pump crazy heavy weights, and I KNOW for a fact that is the only weight training they do because I asked them. However, they do Bodypump 4-5 days a week and LOTS of cardio (like an hour on top of body pump class). They are very lean and probably watch what they eat very closely. They look muscular because they have very low body fat and train their muscle so often. I could never put up with that weight lifting and cardio schedule. People that did body pump 2-3 times a week without so much cardio did not look very lean or muscular (of course diet plays into that).

However, in the gym weights section, you have people lifting weights maybe 3-4 hours a week with minimal cardio that look ripped (of course diet is 80+% of this). To me, that is a more reasonable workout schedule and something I could actually do. So with heavy weights and minimal cardio I was able to change my body. With 2-3 times a week of body pump and medium cardio, my body didn't change at all and I stayed looking skinny fat.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Heavy weight lifting gave ME better results than body pump. To me body pump was like doing cardio using weights. There were so many reps that all I really got was a pump, not muscle growth.

However, the instructor and many regulars in the class I was going to had great physiques, real muscles and can body pump crazy heavy weights, and I KNOW for a fact that is the only weight training they do because I asked them. However, they do Bodypump 4-5 days a week and LOTS of cardio (like an hour on top of body pump class). They are very lean and probably watch what they eat very closely. They look muscular because they have very low body fat and train their muscle so often. I could never put up with that weight lifting and cardio schedule. People that did body pump 2-3 times a week without so much cardio did not look very lean or muscular (of course diet plays into that).

However, in the gym weights section, you have people lifting weights maybe 3-4 hours a week with minimal cardio that look ripped (of course diet is 80+% of this). To me, that is a more reasonable workout schedule and something I could actually do. So with heavy weights and minimal cardio I was able to change my body. With 2-3 times a week of body pump and medium cardio, my body didn't change at all and I stayed looking skinny fat.

What is skinny fat?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why not do both? Do Body Pump some days and lift heavy some days. You don't even have to lift "heavy", just go to the weight section and do some form of exercises with weights. See what challenges you and how your body responds. The most I have ever "lifted" is 20 dumbbells and it has helped me reach and maintain my goals. But everyone's goals are different. Most importantly do what you enjoy and will stick with for the long term.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

What is skinny fat?

Where you are a healthy weight but your body fat percentage is still higher. It is what can happen with dieting + cardio only, you lose too much muscle along with the fat.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »

What is skinny fat?

Skinny fat is when you lose weight without improving your body composition. You look smaller but you have no muscle tone. Just a smaller version of your fat self ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why is everything always presented as "VS" in the forums? You can try one without quitting the other cold turkey. You can get benefits from either. Or both.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you like Body Pump and feel you're getting/maintaining the results you want, carry on!

If you want to try lifting heavier, do that as well. You don't have to give one thing up to start another. If your time in the gym was really limited and your key goal was to build muscle then yeah, maybe swapping Body Pump for using heavier weights on your own would be better, but if that's not the case why fix what isn't broken?