Working out alone vs. with a friend

Options
I have a hard time motivating myself to go to the gym. I have a membership and keep wasting money on it every month because I go for 2 weeks and then stop going for several months. Based on my previous weight loss success I lost weight when I exercised regularly, even if I would only go for a walk for half an hour every day. But I have a hard time developing a routine and sticking to it. I noticed I am much more active if I have a friend to do it with. When I exercised with girlfriends in the past it was easier to go because if I didn't, I felt I was failing them, so I pushed myself to go even if I did not want to. But when we would stop going to the gym together, I would stop going at all. I've never been the kind of person to like exercising or any kind of physical activity, but when I do go, I feel great and want to keep going. Yet when it actually comes down to getting ready to go after work or on the weekend, I make excuses in my head that justify not going.
Is anyone else having the same issues? Why is it so hard for me to do it alone and what can I do to change this bad habit? Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your schedule is like, but I've found that devoting certain days of the week to go to the gym also helps. Maybe find an exercise or a class that doesn't seem such a bad way to spend an hour. Working out can be a bit of a chore for people who don't like working out, but you feel better for it, just like making your bed or cleaning the house.
  • perlynochka
    perlynochka Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. Great feedback! I do have time to exercise after work, just can't make myself actually pack a bag and do it. But there is no other way, I have to get going. I did think about upgrading my gym membership so that I could take advantage of group classes that my gym offers. And maybe I'll find some friends along the way that will be in the same boat as me and will help me through.
  • chariselenee
    chariselenee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way as you, I would go for two weeks then quit. This year I decided once and for all to really stick with it. In 6 months time I have made some amazing "gym" friends, just by saying hello. Everyone there is trying to better themselves and most are going through the same struggles. I now look forward to seeing the same motivating faces at my gym. It's also become my "me" time which I never realized could feel so good!
  • perlynochka
    perlynochka Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's great! I'm happy to know that someone who once felt the same way I did succeeded in turning this problem around. I will work hard on making it happen for me too! Thanks for sharing your experience, chariselenee! :smiley:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you are not the only one with this issue! Working out with friends is so much better because, you're right, you do keep each other motivated and accountable. Making friends AT the gym is a very good idea because they are already going and you don't have to talk someone into joining with you. Strike up a conversation with someone in the locker room or in a situation that a friendly "Hello" isn't an intrusion. I did just that with a woman I had observed running incorrectly on the treadmill one day. In the locker room I found a way to offer her some advice in a roundabout way without actually saying "You're going to injure yourself if you keep running like that". :lol: We've been chatty ever since.

I've found that scheduling in my exercise is the best for my motivation. I run every other day (before work in the summer and after in the winter) and lift at the company gym with a co-worker on the weekdays between running days. I managed to keep to that schedule even while working full-time and going to school part time. Having that one hour or so per day blocked out kept me moving. If I'd left it up to "when I felt like it" it would most likely have happened only rarely.
  • pattytran19
    pattytran19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This might sound dumb, but don't even think about it! Yes, have your gym bag and clothes ready, maybe even put them in your car so you don't have a reason to skip. For me, if I over think going, I usually side with not going because I begin making excuses. Gym and fitness should not be stressful! All you have to say to yourself is, *kitten* it, let's do this!