1400-1500 calories a day and can't lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that you are eating too little. I started out doing 1200-1300 and hit a plateau after 15 or so pounds lost. I live a pretty active lifestyle. I am 24, am 5'5" and now weigh 135 lbs. I started losing again (1 lb a week) when I took my calorie intake up to 1500 daily. At your size, I suggest that you eat 1800-2000 a day and work in 30 mins a day of cardio or other exercise that'll get your heart rate up.
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but you aren't eating enough calories a day!!! I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, weigh 300 lbs, was eating 1200 calories a day and lost a pound or two here and there bu t would gain them back until I started eating the assigned number of calories that MFP assigned me..now the weight is flying off!!!! Make sure to eat enough...you aren't skinny enough to eat those small amount of calories..neither am I. One day I'll get there but for now, I'm eating what I'm assigned and losing. Also, get some cardio in at least 5 out of 7 days!!
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Been on here since January 2016.. and lost 2 stone since then... I've found the only way is to weigh everything.. Bought myself new scales that go down to 0 grams, cause my old ones only went to 25g so was guessing.. Both my dietitian & my Dr told me 1200 calories that mfp recommended was to low, to live with, so i googled healthy intake for my height & weight, it said 1400-1750, to loose 1-2lb per week. i have found this much easier to stick to, most importantly seeing results.. And although i don't exercise in the conventional way, i walk or cycle everywhere, & do gardening on the allotments we have.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A few months ago, I was trying really hard to lose weight on 1400-1500 calories per day. I wasn't getting anywhere and I had even cut out gluten two years ago. Oddly enough, when I cut out gluten I didn't lose weight. I'm very overweight (100 pounds overweight) so I'm worried that I won't lose unless I go under 1,000 calories.

In the last few days I've tried the new Atkins to see if that will work for me. Has anyone else had this problem starting off with this same amount of calories and not losing? I have lost about four pounds in the past week, but I'm thinking its mostly water right now.

Discouraged, aggravated but ready to figure this out.

The bolded. Four pounds is a GREAT loss! Blame it on whatever , it's 4 lbs. I am celiac and haven't had gluten on purpose in over two years, and the muffin top DID melt off pretty fast because of it. You possibly didn't lose weight when you cut out gluten as you may have tried to replace the gluten products with an alternative, I've found that to be a mistake, as most GF products are pretty high in calories....if you're going to replace it with something, make it a vegetable or fruit product.

Other than that, 1000 calories is TERRIBLY low, for any adult, unless you are 4 feet tall, or bedridden. I'd suggest UPPING those calories; I still lose weight eating 1700-1900 every day. If you are worried about consuming too much and not creating enough of a deficit to continue losing, you need to move more. I understand you've had health problems, so I'd suggest asking your doc for a list of non impact exercises you could start with. You can do this, it just takes alot of work. Good luck!
  • GiveHerWingsSheWillFly
    Options
    Weighing my food today. We will see. Now i have to figure out how to share my food diary??? Still trying to figure this out. I'm on Atkins / Ketogenic and I am doing good so far with it. Look at my Macros and let me know what you think. Thank you for all of the advice. Weigh in tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed :)
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • GiveHerWingsSheWillFly
    GiveHerWingsSheWillFly Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weighed again today and lost an additional 4 pounds, so something must be working right. 8 days on induction, 8 pounds lost. I think I can make it on this diet