Period.

Options
Girls, how do you stay motivated to workout when your on your first few days of your period with debilitating cramps and just wanting to stay in bed??

Replies

• RitaRose91
    RitaRose91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do you have medication that helps get rid of the pain from cramps? I'm normally alright if I take advil throughout the day.

Sometimes, I usually take prescription ibuprofen but if and when it works it leaves me groggy lol
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have come to find that aleeve is a wonderful help with period cramps!!!! (My dr is a wonderful female who takes it herself! And recommend it to me)
    One normally does about6-8 hrs!
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Extended relief midol

And then I do whatever I'm feeling up to. Sometimes its just a run or I don't go full out on my HIIT. It really depends on how bad the day is.But I find that as long as I go out and get something started by the end of my workout I can fully push myself and my cramps are way better.
  • RitaRose91
    Options
    Thanks guys...I ended up going to workout today and luckily my male trainer was nice to not give me things too bad lol
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use to have the worst cramps before weight loss. Now it's barely there.
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching your work out for some yoga/stretching. Helps with the cramps!
  • RitaRose91
    Options
    I use to have the worst cramps before weight loss. Now it's barely there.

I'm with you, just this past month with my two periods I've noticed a difference...it doesn't hurt as bad as before but still there. Yesterday was the worst of it tho!
  • RitaRose91
    Options
    ivylyon wrote: »
    Have you tried switching your work out for some yoga/stretching. Helps with the cramps!

I used to do yoga before religiously, it didn't really help much
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have come to find that aleeve is a wonderful help with period cramps!!!! (My dr is a wonderful female who takes it herself! And recommend it to me)
    One normally does about6-8 hrs!

• PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to take Aleeve and they worked really well but all of I sudden I had an allergic reaction to them and got hives on my entire body including my face and in my throat. I didn't realize it was the Aleeve until my next period and I took them again to get the same result. I know this doesn't happen to everyone but if you happen to break out in bad or even mild hives discontinue Aleeve.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange, but when I excercise I feel much better and the cramps seem to dissapear.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't. Exercise does nothing to relieve or prevent cramps for me, I don't know why. They're not any better after having lost some weight, either, so on those 2-3 days, I take heavy meds and live on the heating pad.

Side note: whoever invented the Thermacare patches should be nominated for Sainthood. Just sayin'!
  • momma712
    momma712 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Although I usually feel better after I workout during my period my cramps get so bad I can barely move sometimes I take ibprofen and tylenol and it barely helps so I figure if I just focus on my eating through that time I'll be ok. Sometimes I do have a slip up here and there but that's to be expected sometimes
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you're cramps are that bad maybe you should see your doctor. You may have a more serious condition, or your cramping can be treated with birth control to reduce cramps.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Always put two spaces after a period.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    it helps my cramps to exercise, so I do :smile:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD because my cramps were severe enough to interfere significantly with daily living. I wouldn't have worked out those days, it wouldn't have been possible.

It's one thing to be tired/irritable/not feel like it or the physical pain can be controlled with OTC pain medication. If not, I would encourage you to chat with your doctor.
  • sandflower81
    sandflower81 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have bad cramps but I've noticed the more I work out the less they are.... it's weird but I'm grateful lol
  • neithomp
    neithomp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing was switching from a pad/tampon to a menstrual cup...Takes some time to get used to, but I don't even feel like i'm on my period because I am not worrying about bleeding through or changing anything. Not for everyone, but I feel a lot happier with it!
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into prescription medication? Severe cramps can be a legitimate medical condition. I always had really bad (sometimes debilitating) cramps and really irregular periods growing up, and when I finally went on birth control it was amazing, my cramps disappeared overnight (overmonth?) and I haven't bled unexpectedly in half a decade. If OTC meds don't seem to do the trick, talk to your doctor.