Gym twice in a day-is it ok?

Options
How often do you all workout? I had a training class this morning which was pretty brutal, i then spent almost an hour in the gym between cardio and strength and have an hour free now which i considered spending in the gym again.. is this ok or too much? I dont want to give myself a heart attack but want to do as much as i can to loose weight and gain muscle!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing in the gym. Working the same muscle groups several times per day is going to be a waste of time. Your muscles need the time to repair after a workout; it's at least as important as the workout itself. Also, extended gym time is a good way to burn yourself out quickly. Why not take that hour and just go for a walk?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's subjective to the individual and their activity level, not to mention your goals.

Your goal of losing weight (I assume you mean fat) and gaining muscle is near impossible.

One can lose fat and retain muscle though.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i sometimes go to the gym multiple times a day, but each time i'm doing something different. I only do a hard core muscle shredding workout 4 times a week, The rest of the time i just do stuff like mobility, yoga, or cardio, swimming, abs, goofing off with friends, etc.
  • sunshines4nate
    sunshines4nate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks foe the replies... and Oh sorry yes sorry I do mean I want to loose fat and gain muscle. Silly me. I have been working so hard and the scales are barely moving at all so im just assuning and hoping changes are happening but I just dont know what they are! I just found myself at a loose end and thought perhaps doing another round might help but wasnt sure wether it would be productive or not or if it would even be healthy to do so! My class is circuits so cardio and strength and i do most of my gym cardio on the rowing machine.. I also then work on weight machines after. Atm I have no workout plan set but I am working on that!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks foe the replies... and Oh sorry yes sorry I do mean I want to loose fat and gain muscle. Silly me. I have been working so hard and the scales are barely moving at all so im just assuning and hoping changes are happening but I just dont know what they are! I just found myself at a loose end and thought perhaps doing another round might help but wasnt sure wether it would be productive or not or if it would even be healthy to do so! My class is circuits so cardio and strength and i do most of my gym cardio on the rowing machine.. I also then work on weight machines after. Atm I have no workout plan set but I am working on that!

In addition to the scale you should be measuring. Tape measure (like for sewing, not construction, lol) and track your measurements (whichever ones you want, hips, waist, thighs, arms, etc). I've had weeks where the scale hasn't changed but the measurements have gone down. Solely relying on the scale is definitely not going to give you the whole picture of your progress.

To reply to your question, I agree with the others, it depends what you're doing, and can be very individual. You don't want to do too much so that you burn out, or overwork/overstress certain body parts or muscle groups. But I have days where I'll go for a run at lunch and then do a weight lifting session at the gym after work, helps me fit in all the different activities I enjoy, lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

It's nearly impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You can, however, lose weight and maintain muscle while eating at a caloric deficit so that's what you'll be doing.

If the scale isn't moving and you really are working hard at strength training you may be seeing some recomp going on, especially if this is all new, but more than likely your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves because you're abusing them. :smile: Have you also been measuring yourself with a measuring tape? If no, I'd highly suggest you get one and start tracking on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. Often when the scale isn't moving you're still shrinking. The scale isn't the best measurement of success, especially if you're strength training.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough to fuel your workouts. What is your calorie input?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Also, extended gym time is a good way to burn yourself out quickly.

This. There is no need to workout for hours. Sometimes less is better!

As for gaining muscle and losing weight, you can't really do both unless you are recomping (eating at maintenance, your body weight will roughly stay the same but your body composition will change, very slowly)

If your goal is fat loss, then you need to eat at a deficit. You also preferably want to have a good lifting routine and eat enough protein to maintain your muscle mass while cutting.

If you want to build muscles you need to eat over your maintenance.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Keep it up for a few months and then ask.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My personal philosophy to this whole thing is to develop weight loss habits that I can maintain for life. I exercise once a day 6 days a week and occasionally will take a day off.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe use the time to go for a walk or do some stretching? Most weight loss happens in the kitchen rather the gym. Weight loss 101. o:)
  • Scorpion2013
    Scorpion2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most weight loss happens in the kitchen rather the gym. Weight loss 101. o:)

Its true like 80% diet and 20% exercise but exercise helps A LOT
  • sunshines4nate
    sunshines4nate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all you are very wise and knowledgeable! I had been focusing on cardio for about 4 weeks when i decided to incorporate strength training alongside cardio for the past 4 weeks. Not hardcore weights just machines and dabbling with the free weights trying to learn form etc. I have been eating between 1200 and 1400 cals on average daily. I am 30, female, 5'5 and weight 137lbs! I generally try to burn 300-500 6 days a week depending how much i ache off stregth stuff.. i also eat most of those calories back!

I have not measured but wish i had and will do so as like a few have said i am more concerned with how my body looks than what the scale says.. i dont mind weighing 136lb if it is predominantly muscle weight rather than my current fat weight lol!
  • sexyspecsyJoJo
    sexyspecsyJoJo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started gym yesterday, I'm trying to go 3/4 times a week .
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    OP, you are of a normal BMI.

Maybe look into body recomposition and a progressive lifting program to achieve the results you desire.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you'd be either setting yourself up for an overuse injury or just burning yourself out.

People are often the victims of their own enthusiasm especially when starting something new. Then there's also the paradox of exercise and weight loss, exercise takes fuel (food) while a moderate amount of exercise can help you acheive a caloric deficit you aren't doing yourself any favours by going overboard on the exercise. You then either eat more to fuel it and maintain more-or-less the same caloric deficit or risk just being plain exhausted. Ask any marathon runner of long distance triathlete how much weight they're losing in the latter stages of a training cycle.

The amount of exercise you can do will increase over time, your body becomes more efficient at glycogen storage, your cardiovascular capacity increases, your mitochondrial density improves. I frequently do more than 1 workout a day but they're completely different in terms of impact (eg Monday I'll be in the gym at 6AM for about 45 min to an hour doing strength & then have my tri club's spinning class in the evening. Tuesday morning I'll run & then ride 20 to 30km on my bike after work) but I've also been running for the last 8 or 9 years, I wouldn't recommend my schedule to someone just starting.