Cardio on low calories

Options
Hi probably this has been asked before
I'm 5'2 and 64.5kgs with 7kgs to goal weight but main goal is to firm up my body not be skinny fat. I'm eating 1200 at most daily and strength train 3X weekly doing stronglifts 5X5.
Is there a need to incorporate cardio session for weight loss? I'm already low on calories clean food and protein and I track accurately plus heavy lifting...

Pls assist

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't necessary to lose fat. If you're at a deficit and properly measuring your food, then you should lose fat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    Hi probably this has been asked before
    I'm 5'2 and 64.5kgs with 7kgs to goal weight but main goal is to firm up my body not be skinny fat. I'm eating 1200 at most daily and strength train 3X weekly doing stronglifts 5X5.
    Is there a need to incorporate cardio session for weight loss? I'm already low on calories clean food and protein and I track accurately plus heavy lifting...

Pls assist

The way MFP is designed - you got 1200 BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't exercise will still lose weight. Logging workouts in MFP actually gives you more calories. So no, you don't need cardio. "Clean" food isn't necessary either, but less processed can be way more filling.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    No exercise is required for weight loss - the only thing that is required is a calorie deficit.

It is good that you are doing the lifting as that will help preserve your muscle mass while you are in a deficit. Cardio typically does not build or preserve muscle - it is for heart health and stamina (and depending on what you are doing for cardio, it can burn more calories in a given time period compared to lifting for that same time period).
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes I prefer natural healthy food that keep me full longer and I cat have pasta or bread yet till i learn to have a gud relationship with food because I tend to binge....personal choice.

My upper body strength isn't increasing still stuck at the bar for overhead press maybe because of low cal diet but deadlifts and squats I hammer!
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Personally I found when I added cardio to my strength training, it sped up my losses and has helped me lose 'flabby' areas.
    My 'deficit' based on Net Cals for the week normally averages 1.8-2lbs, but I can lose 2.5lbs+ when doing 5 x 45 mins cardio on top. Basically it's just math. CICO :-)

This is 2 months and 16lbs apart.

q2qds26jtajk.png
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    cardio isn't necessary to lose fat, but it will make it a LOT easier to lean out. Lifting is anerobic, so it takes a lot of effort, time, and exertion to burn calories, whereas cardio is aerobic and so less time needed to burn the same number of calories. If you hate running maybe try interspersing your lifting with 10-15 minutes of vigorous incline walking (7+ incline, 4mph). That will boost your heart rate through your sets and help you burn more cals.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    cardio isn't necessary to lose fat, but it will make it a LOT easier to lean out. Lifting is anerobic, so it takes a lot of effort, time, and exertion to burn calories, whereas cardio is aerobic and so less time needed to burn the same number of calories. If you hate running maybe try interspersing your lifting with 10-15 minutes of vigorous incline walking (7+ incline, 4mph). That will boost your heart rate through your sets and help you burn more cals.

^^This!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do 15 min in the rowing machine before lifting. It gives you a bit of cardio and is a good warm up routine as you hit all muscle groups. Give it a try. C-V health is important too.

Do eat all 1200 of your calories plus some 50-75% I've your exercise calories.
    I am a little lighter than you, lift (AllPro) 3 days a week and eat back 100-150 cals for the hour I spend in the gym.
    For my alternate day cardio, walking, swimming, or rowing machine I eat back 150-200 cals.

My daily average calories are 1450 to maintain 45-47 kg at 5'1. So you should still lose with a few more calorie, and you will probably get better strength gains.

Cheers, h.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I just started doing cardio after seven months. I did none while cutting, as I did not want to burn off extra calories. Now I'm eating at maintenance.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I do enjoy spinning so I'll probably add that once or twice a week to speed things up