Beginner's Running on a Treadmill?

Options
LittleFox83
LittleFox83 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!
The heat and humidity is insane here in Florida, and I can barely stand more than a walk to the car, but I wanted to start my fitness *now*, so I got myself a treadmill, and it arrived Monday.

I've been running when I first wake up and right when I get home from work. My calves are MURDERED at this point, but the runner's high, great moods and improved brain function are too amazing for me to want to take a break. I am pretty sure I've already over done it.

My question is, how do I ease into a routine without slaughtering my leg muscles again? I didn't really know how to stretch so I just started at a low speed for about 2 min and increased gradually til I was running full speed. Is this an okay substitution for a warm up stretch? I am a total newbie to running and could really use some pointers.

Thanks!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat out on your stretches! If you calves are killing you, you have to stretch out your Achilles after your run.

https://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=4592
  • kennycbaker
    kennycbaker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run 2-6 miles a day on my treadmill. I still run even when my legs are sore. Up your protein intake and eat plenty of veggies.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Definitely begin stretching!

And depending on how new to running you are, I'd recommend using a program like Couch 2 5k. It uses run/walk intervals that gradually increase each week to get you to running for 30 minutes straight. If you already have a running base, you could start during one of the later weeks.
  • blackmoon22
    blackmoon22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill on December (6 ish months ago). If your calves are hurting due to muscle soreness , I say give it a few days to get use to it but it shouldn't be too much of a difference than running track. Also, if you're new to running, try running/walking in intervals that way the muscles in your legs build up and eventually you'll be able to run fully. Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My question is, how do I ease into a routine without slaughtering my leg muscles again?

Soreness is from doing too much too soon, and the solution is to not do that. Start with short, slow runs, and increase the duration & speed in small increments each time you run. C25K is a popular running program, if you want a plan to follow. :+1:

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    There is a couch to 5k version for the treadmill here which you could follow.

Raise the incline a little to simulate being outside, and go slow to start. You may be overstriding which is putting pressure on your calves. All very well getting a runners high, but not so fun if you get injured and can't run for weeks.