Dumbbell bench press

Options
adescut
adescut Posts: 19 Member
I have been strength training for a little over a year doing two total body workouts per week. I am now trying to bench press 35lb powerblocks but I can't seem to get into the position in order to do the lift. I know you are supposed to rest them on your knees, raise your knees as you lay down and bench press. My left arm (my weaker one) keeps veering outwards and then I have to stop and go down to 32lbs, which I can do. I know I can do the actual lift at 35lbs, it's just getting into that position.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Ask someone else in the gym to help you.
  • ahmedislam484
    ahmedislam484 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will advice you to stop getting help from anyone if you do and wait till you get it to improve your strength
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Work on increasing your time under tension with the 32s. For example, try doing a set of 10. At the bottom of the first rep, hold for a second. At the bottom of the second rep, hold for two seconds, at the bottom of the third, hold for three, etc. Thus will help you get much stronger at the bottom of your reps. Once you can do all 10 with 32s you'll put the 35s through the ceiling.

PS the rep bottom should be under tension, not resting!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Strengthening your core would help alot. Make sure your back is tight throughout, wrists not veering outside your body and work on form with lighter weights slowly but progressively until you can handle the weight in a routine.

Also in same camp of NOT getting help. If you can't rock up a weight, your body isn't ready for it. Drop the ego and have patience towards your goal injury free hopefully.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Rest them on your hips and scrunch into them a little more, so the top of the dumbbell is touching the front of your shoulder. Then rock back. You are doing the same motion with your body, but now the weights end up right in the starting position with a quick wrist turn.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Hoohoohaa wrote: »
    Rest them on your hips and scrunch into them a little more, so the top of the dumbbell is touching the front of your shoulder. Then rock back. You are doing the same motion with your body, but now the weights end up right in the starting position with a quick wrist turn.

This is how I was taught to lift the weights to my shoulders. Good luck!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    some people put them on their knees and lay back and then use their legs/knees to pop them up into position. I can't do this it doesn't work for me. what works for me is to press them into my chest and slowly lay back . also regarding the comments about not dumbell pressing more than you can safely get into position, thats good advice, If you need to press more weight for progression, its time for the barbell, which will also build up your strength. Dumbbells dont really need to go super heavy, they can be used at a lighter weight for more reps as an accessory lift. Use the barbell for your big heavy weight training.
  • Krisfit40
    Krisfit40 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    put them against your hips so that when you sit they are up against your body in the upright position. as you lay down they will lay back with you. then you will use your arms to pull them to the sides so they fall into postion right next to your body in the down position. try this method. If you have any questions or need a better explanation feel free to message me :)
  • adescut
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info. I learned a lot and hopefully I will be able to progress either now or soon. :smile:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I suppose there are some unique benefits to doing dumbbell bench presses but why not just use a barbell?

I think you'd find it easier to balance and press the weight from the bench than w/dumb bells and you can probably go heavier as well. You could also do barbell presses as an "assistance" exercise in order to gain additional strength that will make doing dumbbell presses easier for you to do.
  • adescut
    Options
    I work out at home and only have powerblock dumbbells to 45 lbs.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Dumb bells don't allow the stronger arm to compensate for the weaker arm like a barbell does, and they also force you to use you core a bit more to stabilize yourself so you can control them.

One suggestion I would make is to try the single arm dumbbell bench press, which gives you the freedom to use the off arm to help get the working arm into position. You hold the off arm out to the side for balance, and doing only one arm at a time makes your core work hard to keep your balance on the bench. You can also do this on a stability ball, for a bit more of a core challenge!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Krisfit40 wrote: »
    put them against your hips so that when you sit they are up against your body in the upright position. as you lay down they will lay back with you. then you will use your arms to pull them to the sides so they fall into postion right next to your body in the down position. try this method. If you have any questions or need a better explanation feel free to message me :)

This is similar to how I do it. Up against my body as I lay back and then spoon press them to the top. I can't use the other methods.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    I work out at home and only have powerblock dumbbells to 45 lbs.

OIC. Thought that might be the reason.

If dumb bells are your only option and you are having trouble managing the weight with your left arm, I'd simply suggest doing exercises to strengthen the left arm until it can match the right arm. Single arm dumb bells curls combined w/a seated or stranding press and tricep extensions to mind as exercises that should help.

Good luck!

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you could do some pushups, too.