Where I am trying to keep my mind this morning... Food feelings

Options
Without the extra seasoning, extreme amounts of sauces and the fattening oils, my food is quite plain. While I know whole, plain foods are healthy for me, I feel an emotional loss from not lusting passionately in the extravagance of unhealthy foods. I realize that I have to build relationships with people - I can not let food be my source of satisfaction and fulfillment. Food can only serve as my source of nutrition, not companionship... but I am still struggling to believe and to live what I'm typing on the screen.

Any thoughts??
Marie.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't have to be plain to be healthy. It sounds like you are dealing with a number of mental and emotional issues around food, and I don't want to diminish that. But as a starting point, perhaps it's worth trying to find food that is delicious that still helps you meet your goals.

You can have seasonings, sauces, and oils - just not "extreme" amounts. In fact, you probably can have extreme amounts of seasonings. You don't have to eat boiled vegetables and plain grilled chicken breast. It's OK to enjoy your food.
  • Imagine_if
    Imagine_if Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that feedback Jruzer. I appreciate hearing a voice which doesn't live in my head ;)

I certainly am dealing with the emotional stuff. However with the food, I started at plain items just to become familiar with food again. After eating in the extreme side for so long, I really have forgotten what food is. For me it's been just as with a kid who refuses to eat any item not laden in ketchup.

Currently, I'm working on relearning what food looks and tastes like without the added sugars, greases, breaded, and other ways that give me that food 'high'. Without those additions, I no longer want to fill a mixing bowl full and eat 4 or 5 helpings.

What types of seasonings have you enjoy that are less processed?

Marie.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that Mrs Jruzer is a good cook, so I eat pretty well. I can't relate to the pickiness, I'm afraid - I've always been an adventurous eater. I just always ate too much.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but here are a few suggestions. I don't usually worry about whether my seasonings are "processed" or not. I just eat what I like and (mostly!) within my calorie budget.

I'm personally a fan of barbecue sauce, Frank's Red Hot, sriracha, and balsamic vinegar. I've been playing with some adobo seasoning and some powdered chipotle in my omelettes recently.

Since it's summer time there's an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables, so we've been having plenty of watermelon, BLTs, stir fries with fresh broccoli, oven roasted potatoes, etc. We just had a salad with fresh cherry tomatoes and cucumbers with a little "Zesty Italian" dressing.

A few days ago The Mrs made homemade pizza with a little sausage, and some extra fennel really amped it up on the adult side.

We made the zucchini tots that are posted here in another thread and those were very tasty.

I'm also a big fan of pesto (although you have to watch the portion size - a little goes a long way.) We've made grilled pizza with pesto, basil leaves, and fresh mozzarella. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

When we have tacos I usually have corn tortillas, and we've found a spicy mango salsa that is drool-inducing.

Good luck - there's plenty of great food out there that's not a calorie bomb.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love tzaziki sauce on raw veggies. Garlic, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt, grated cucumber. Yum! Or I dry sautee mushrooms with thyme and rosemary and salt, then add just a little milk to make a sauce. I do it with portabellas and put them on a little pasta, but love them by themselves. A pinch of shredded Parmesan is excellent on it. Fresh herbs are your friend for flavor!
  • Imagine_if
    Imagine_if Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks DKG28 and Dancingonstarz, I've made a list and plan to pick up a few new seasonings soon. It'll be fun to experiment with them on my chicken and fish. I did try cayenne today. It was nice on pan seared chicken; gave it a nice warmth against my salad greens.