Food Scales?

Options
Reading about people weighing their food inspired me. I went to amazon and looked. There are so many choices with so many different reviews. How do you know which scale is good? Any experience good or bad?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Needs the tare feature, be digital and be able to weigh grams and ounces. No need to spend a fortune - just have those features.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got a Mainstays one at Walmart for $18 iirc. What @Ready2Rock206 said was exactly what this one does. And it has a fairly large glass plate (which I wish was removable for washing) to hold food or dishes. Easy to use, large readout.
  • ckwilson254
    ckwilson254 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok so it seemed many of them weigh as much as 11 pounds max. I didn't think I needed to weigh 11 pounds of food. But what do you think?
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As long as it has a Tare feature, weighs ounces AND grams, you're golden!
  • ckwilson254
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice. I am going to purchase one and get started.
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tare definitely. Got mine on Amazon. Still going strong year later.
  • ckwilson254
    Options
    I got one picked out. Thanks again for the input. Now for the harsh reality of how much I'm eating.
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It hit me hard to dude. Weighed everything and my jaw hit the floor.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ok so it seemed many of them weigh as much as 11 pounds max. I didn't think I needed to weigh 11 pounds of food. But what do you think?

I have one that weighs up to 33 pounds. My husband picked it specifically so we could weigh a whole pot of food to determine how many servings it is. (1 gram = 1 serving in the MFP recipe calculator.) If you cook for large groups of people (we're a family of 10), it's very useful. But if not, 11 pounds will be sufficient.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Try walmart, target and bbbeyond.
    If for some reason, you don't like it, easy returns. And you could have it tonight if you want it.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=digital food scale
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds using a little spring-loaded scale that I bought for about ten bucks. You don't have to spend that much on a scale if it's an issue. I live alone so I'm basically cooking for one my scale has the max of 2 pounds on it little little removable plastic cup and it worked fine.

The scale will be a big reality check for you as far as the amount of food you're eating and what we think is a normal portion size versus what's an actual portion size. Good luck with your journey
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got the Ozeri on Amazon only $12 and its works beautifully. You should be good with any model as long as it has a Tare feature. Best of luck to you!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

Mine goes to 11 pounds and I've only maxed it out once and that turned out to be a 17 pound watermelon. LOL
  • ckwilson254
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. kalm3 the Ozeri was the one I was looking at. Glad you like it.
  • Rocco_007
    Rocco_007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used the Joseph Joseph Tri Scales. It is foldable and very compact. I take it everywhere with me to weigh my macros. It goes up to 5kg.