I need a break from smoking

Options
rion098
rion098 Posts: 3 Member
Hi, folks. I am Rion from Toronto. I have been a chain smoker and now it is like I am really under chains of smoking. I tried coming out of that habit but I am not able to. Two days before I puked blood and my girl is worried after seeing that. She even asked for break up if I don't quit smoking. I don't wanna leave her. I am ready for anything. I wanna come out of this anyhow. She calls me an addict and she said to undergo an addiction treatment from CBT associates in Toronto as per her friend's suggestion. Will am treatment help me come out of this? Or is there any other option for this? Am feeling embarrassed to undergo a treatment of that sort because what will others think? Others will also come to know about my addiction right? Are there any other reasons for puking blood? Any other ways to come out of smoking addiction? Will this treatment help me? Is it affordable?

Replies

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Dr about all of this. He might be able to tell you what treatments are best, if your insurance will cover it, and check out the blood issue.
  • rion098
    rion098 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much Angela
  • Misscarpainter
    Misscarpainter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Rion! i gave up smoking 7months ago, its easier than you think... thats the problem with quitting, you tell yourself its so hard! its all in the mind.. i swapped from ciggies to an electronic ciggie for 1 week, and then threw it away.. i havent looked back..! you wont regret it, youll wonder why you even started, you got this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think puking up blood is associated with smoking? regardless of whether it is or not, you need to see a doctor.

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think puking up blood is associated with smoking? regardless of whether it is or not, you need to see a doctor.

Probably thinking lung cancer or other lungs issues associated with smoking. Makes sense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »

Probably thinking lung cancer or other lungs issues associated with smoking. Makes sense.

surely that would be coughing up blood?
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I was always a chain smoker from around the age of 15/16 until 6 months ago
    I really felt totally hooked and it took many many quit attempts before being able to free myself from the most powerful addiction iv ever had in my life.
    I was somewhat successful using patches, gum or nicotine tabs but using the e-cig has been the best so far, and it will be easier to give up the e-cig in time if you wanted to.
    I decided to quit because I was fully aware I was smoking way too much, and it was going to end in disaster.
    So I wish you luck, keep trying to quit and you will get there
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just quit four days ago. I joined a gym (no x-long contract) so I could go whenever I felt like to take my mind of smoking. Turns out I've been there every night since joining, even if only for 30-45 minutes. I don't plan to do it forever but for the next few weeks it should:

- help elivate my mood
    - wear me out to help me sleep at night (sleeping trouble often accompanies quitting)
    - keep my metabolism up (smoking 20 a day puts the equivalent strain of carrying an extra 90lbs on the heart - that burns 250 calories a day in itself).
    - Initially it has flushed the nicotine/toxins from my body faster
    - I can eat pretty much what I want and not gain weight (am prepared not to loss for the few weeks either!)

No ecigs, no patches etc. These make the process easier but longer. Only crutch has been calms to cool the anxiety and anger - working well so far. Up to this point I'd recommend exercise as the best replacement for smoking.
  • chrisg676
    chrisg676 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I smoked from the age of 13 to about 23. I used National No Smoking Day to kick start packing it in. I just went cold turkey. No cutting down, or patches or anything like that. There no e-cigs then. The first 4-6 weeks are the hardest. I started eating more. I was quite partial to Sour Cream and Onion Pringles. I've been off the ciggies now for 20 years. I started cycling again 3 years ago and my lung capacity keeps going up.
  • Snowflake2007
    Snowflake2007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also am trying to stop smoking. I have joined a few online support groups that are free and helping me do this. Hope you will see your Dr. a.s.a.p. about puking blood.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I would suspect puking blood is more related to a stomach issue. I guess it could be esophageal from damage due to smoking. But you live in Toronto...we have free healthcare. Go to a doctor or an urgent care clinic. Puking blood isn't a normal thing to do.

As for quitting smoking your doctor can prescribe the patch...a friend's husband had this done when he had a heart attack. but go see a doctor
  • lexi3500
    lexi3500 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Smoking is not good for u.. U should stop before it gets to late . I'm not saying it in a bad way