First date on his birthday

Ccano88
Ccano88 Posts: 51 Member
edited July 2016 in Chit-Chat
Advice would be greatly appreciated. I accepted a first date invite only to find out later that his birthday is tomorrow. Same day as the first date. How should the date go? I feel awkward now knowing it's his birthday but it's our first time meeting. I was thinking of rescheduling for a different day but I don't want to bum him out on his birthday.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2016
    If it is your first time meeting, how do you know it is his birthday? I might be socially awkward, but I personally wouldn't acknowledge it unless he says something. Then again, I can be a *kitten* like that. It just seems stalkerish if you found out from like an online source, assuming you did given the circumstances. I apologize if I'm incorrect.
  • Ccano88
    We had been talking and texting and already made plans to meet up for coffee and possibly catching a movie afterwards. Later in the conversation he mentioned it was his birthday after we had made plans. I acknowledged him and wished him a happy birthday but later thought to myself why would he want to meet me on a first date on his birthday?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    For some people their birthday is just another day. No big deal. Just go and have fun.
  • ejinvt
    ejinvt Posts: 298 Member
    If you feel you must do something to acknowledge it, get a funny card. He shouldn't be expecting anything if you've never met. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    he obviously isn't bothered that he's meeting you on his birthday, so you shouldn't be i don't think.
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    When I first was dating my bf his birthday came round, it was like our 6th date or something and I panicked and bought a a card, gloves (it was winter) and aftershave

It was excruciatingly akward when he opened them and thanked me.....

Don't think we were at that stage yet, buying gifts and all that, if I were you I wouldn't get anything, just acknowledge his birthday and hope he has a good day lol
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    I'm sure he's overjoyed that he's going on a date with you on his birthday.. I wouldn't reschedule :)
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    my first date with my current boyfriend was the day after my birthday. i wouldn't have wanted him to do anything. a few years later i learned that his mom tried to convince him to buy me flowers...i think i would have felt awkward if he did! maybe you can just get him a funny card!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    I'm sure he's overjoyed that he's going on a date with you on his birthday.. I wouldn't reschedule :)

Rock up, smile give him a card and let your date commence as usual.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,976 Member
    Get him a card and go on the date. A gift would be too much at this point. He knew it was his birthday when he scheduled it. Either it's not a big deal to him, or he wanted to meet you on a special day (or maybe a day he could remember if it goes well).
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Get him a funny card and just enjoy the date. he must be really looking forward to meeting you if he scheduled a first date on his bday! Good luck and let us know how it went!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Why do you feel awkward going out on his birthday?
  • Ccano88
    Thanks!! I just felt weird because I would think he had plans with his family or friends but it seems like it's just another day to him. Thanks for the advice and we are meeting for coffee around lunch time.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    I was worried for nothing. We hung out and had a great time. His family lives out of town and his friends have families so that's why he didn't have plans on his birthday. We had coffee, had some food and watched a movie!

@corinacano8148 that's awesome! Will there be a 2nd date?
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    I would go out maybe he wanted to be with you on his birthday . Go have fun
  • Ccano88
    @AskTracyAnnK28 Yes, he told me he wanted to see each other again.
  • Ccano88
    edited July 2016
    @newmeadow Not at all. I just figured if it was his birthday, he would want to spend it with family and friends and not a person he had never met before. It had nothing to do with me thinking he was socially marginalized. But nonetheless, we had a great day and will continue to see eachother.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    @AskTracyAnnK28 Yes, he told me he wanted to see each other again.

Yayyyyy! Glad it went so well!