Am I doing something wrong?

Options
This week was TOM for me. So I didn't take much stock in the weight shown on my scale. Although, normally around this time (just before) I can gain as much as 8lbs - this month I didn't show more than a 2lbs gain - so I was excited!! This must mean that once TOM is done, I will show a better loss!!

Well, this morning for fun I stood on the scale and was still 199.6 (last weigh in was 199.4lbs) I haven't moved... I know I still have a day or 2 left of TOM - but still...over 2 weeks, I have been really good with my caloric intake - always WELL under my goal (except for 2-3 days total where I was only 200 calories or so away from my daily goal as opposed to more) and I have nothing to show.

I am just feeling down....

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you know you retain water during this time then why would you expect the scale to go downward now? :smile: I go through the same thing, mine is this week also, and I know it takes me several days after it ends to see the water weight drop back off. It's definitely frustrating. Take a deep breath, step back from the scale and just keep doing what you know you need to do to. Weigh yourself again on Monday.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am a glutton for punishment...
    That and I just assumed that after over 2 weeks TOM or not I would have lost SOMETHING...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question!!! Have patience and the scales will catch up.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    I hate being impatient LOL
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're confident that you've logged food and exercise accurately, and you have been losing weight over the long term, then don't beat yourself up over this short-term stall. You'll get rid of the water when your body no longer needs it!
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I struggle with patience as well. I've fluctuated the same 10lbs all month... I had a couple of cheat days that got out of control but I think I am super close to that 10 to be gone forever. I did realized that I'm fitting into smaller clothes even tho the scale isn't moving - That is progress! Hope you have a break through on the scale soon!
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    I struggle with patience as well. I've fluctuated the same 10lbs all month... I had a couple of cheat days that got out of control but I think I am super close to that 10 to be gone forever. I did realized that I'm fitting into smaller clothes even tho the scale isn't moving - That is progress! Hope you have a break through on the scale soon!

You know, if I was able to fit in clothes now that I couldn't when I started, I would be ok - but that isn't happening either. As a matter of fact the first time I did this and lost 25lbs - I still found I had to wear my "fat" clothes... I never understood what was wrong.. and that was part of the reason why I gave up.

25lbs was ALOT for me... and to see no actual difference in my body myself... or have clothes I used to wear fit again was very discouraging... I mean what was the point...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've been in a pattern for a couple of months now where I start putting on water weight--like a half pound per day for a week when I ovulate, and then the week before my TOM. The good news is that because I stay the course, I spend the other two weeks of the month "wooshing". In my case that's showing losses every single day, from a half pound to two pounds.

It can be frustrating, but if you know you're doing what you need to do, you can ride out and you will see the progress.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For months and months I only lost weight the week after TOM. Don't give up yet!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

You know, if I was able to fit in clothes now that I couldn't when I started, I would be ok - but that isn't happening either. As a matter of fact the first time I did this and lost 25lbs - I still found I had to wear my "fat" clothes... I never understood what was wrong.. and that was part of the reason why I gave up.

25lbs was ALOT for me... and to see no actual difference in my body myself... or have clothes I used to wear fit again was very discouraging... I mean what was the point...

Don't give up. At the larger sizes, it seems to me that there's a larger range of weights in which they still kind of fit - it takes quite a few pounds to need a new size. It doesn't mean you're failing; it's just another of those annoying "patience" things. As you drop in size, eventually, the size changes will be fewer pounds apart.

Stay the course, weight loss won't happen evenly, you may plateau for a while then see a sudden loss ("whoosh"). If you stick with it over the long haul, adjusting calories as needed (smaller people burn fewer, sadly), you will succeed. If you get super frustrated, take a maintenance break (eat at maintenance calories for a week or so) every few months, then get back on course.

You can do this, and it is sooo worth it.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know all to well how frustrating weight gain is, when you are working so hard. I am one that has seen several times lately weight gains between 8 - 10 lbs. I get so depressed, look in the mirror and still see the 400 lb person I once was. Soooo frustrating. However, the weight wooshes off and you will have a week of loss, then it seems to jump again. I was loosing at a rate of 10 - 15 lbs a month. This month I will probably be at 5 lbs, the way the scale goes up and down. I log and weigh everything and try to walk 5 miles a day or exercise, so hard to underetand. Keep at it and hold your head high.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I wouldn't let the clothes issue discourage you. It would depend a bit on what type of clothes you were wearing to start. Most of the stuff I've seen in the larger sizes isn't exactly form fitting. There's going to be a large variation of weights that can wear them. Heck, even I can still wear my size 4 jeans, that fit me well at 122 pounds, at the 138 I'm sitting at now. They're tight to start but loose enough by the end of the day.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Right on, AnnPT77...there is more room for fluctuation (up or down) in the larger size clothing. When you start losing weight and/or readjusting body parts in the smaller sizes, you have to change the clothing more often. I don't have the right "girlie" genes, because I hate shopping! It took months before I actually needed to purchase new clothes, then I thought I was good with my new outfits and then I had to do it all over again.
    Keep it up, abitofbliss, it will be worth it. Your health with thank you.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words...
    I mean I know the science... do it right and it WILL work... just sometimes hard when you don't SEE it working!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am a glutton for punishment...
    That and I just assumed that after over 2 weeks TOM or not I would have lost SOMETHING...

2weeks means now you've hit ovulation (i gain more water then)...isn't being a woman fun?
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In January of 2015 I decided to try to get in better shape so I came back to MFP and logged. By April of that year I was down 25 lbs. However, I was still in the same size clothes. While they were definitely feeling looser, I couldn't get into the next size down (couldn't even zip up!) It made me extremely frustrated, I decided it wasn't worth it and gave up.

Guess what? Came back in May of 2016 with that 25lb PLUS 25 more! Boy I wish I would have been more patient!
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Well down 0.4lbs this morning... woo hoo.

lol! It's nice to know that others are suffering right along with me! :wink:
  • fineporcelain01
    fineporcelain01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question!!! Have patience and the scales will catch up.

Sometimes this is the hardest thing of all to do. I know I get frustrated about it.
  • timechanging
    timechanging Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling frustrated as well. Been on MFP since June 1, 2016 and haven't even lost 5 lbs. Eating out is not fun. Calories are outrageous and some places the food is split 3 ways. Plus can't get motivated to exercise. Just feel like dropping out of MFP.