Where to start? Feeling overwhelmed with 100lbs to lose

Options
nursekirsty
nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
As above

Been a member for a while but never properly used the app - I'm gaining more weight every year and now I feel like I have a huge hurdle to overcome.

I have successfully in the past lost 3 stones but my current weight just seems impossible right now - I am struggling for a good breakfast - I really don't like porridge or cereal and I have savoury rich food tooth! I'm planning for some soups for lunch (live in Scotland and it's always cold here!!

Any good recipes for a nice lean protein for dinner would be lovely too and any advice from anyone else in or has been the same position.

Thanks
Kirsty

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Omelette for breakfast! Low cal, high protein, rich and savoury :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you read this? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Losing weight isn't really that complicated. It's not necessarily easy, because it takes time, patience, commitment, planning, knowing what is important and what is less important, knowing what you are doing, and measuring progress correctly - but weight management is basically just about finding the best possible foods you can eat that don't trigger overeating, and make moving your body into a natural part of your day.
  • caitlinscarrott
    caitlinscarrott Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For the mornings when you are in a rush, have a bunch of breakfast muffins made and put in the freezer :) pop in the microwave for a quick zap and done!
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Liquid eggs with .5 oz grated cheese and other stuff like salsa mixed in - nuke 30 seconds, stir, repeat until almost cooked through (eggs will continue to cook for about a minute when removed from heat).

Flatbreads like parathas or tortillas with 1oz melted cheese. Or what I had this morning: corn tortilla with an egg cracked on top, cheese and salsa. Pierce yolk before covering and nuking for one minute.

Lots of hot savory protein gets me through the morning!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    April 2015, I reduced carbs, increased protein and exercise, and immediately felt better. Weight loss was a bonus! I know when you have a lot to lose you want it to come off fast, but if you are losing two pounds a week for 25 weeks, that's 50 pounds in 6 months.

I also like hot foods when it's cold. Since you like savory, for your breakfast recommend eggs, veggies, and something spicy. I like about an ounce of andouille sausage. You could also have leftovers from dinner. I eat a lot of chicken, potato, and broccoli.
  • nursekirsty
    Options
    HI Kirsty,

When I first joined MFP 3 years ago, I had about 100 lbs to lose as well. It does feel overwhelming, like it's going to take forever, never going to happen, etc...it's the worst feeling. What helped me was to set several smaller goals. My first goal was to lose 10 lbs. Doesn't sound as bad, right? Once I got there, I figured I could lose 10 more...and continued that way up to 83 lbs lost now. It's taken me awhile, but that's ok. The time is going to pass anyway, might as well make the best choices I can for my health. It also helps to know that you aren't just going to be at your starting weight throughout this entire process. At some point, you'll only have 90 lbs to lose...then 80. You'll keep getting smaller, which is so encouraging! It's going to take patience, the ability to forgive yourself when you overdo it one night at a buffet or something (and you will, just about everyone does!), and belief in yourself that you CAN do it. Plus, you'll feel so much better and healthier. So often people get caught up in the "I want to see a smaller number on the scale" part that they completely lose sight of the "I want to be as healthy as I can" be part. Health is a lifelong process. It's the best decision I've ever made; hopefully it will be yours too. :) good luck!

thank you for thois - i have some food ideas in mind and will take it one day at a time x
  • nursekirsty
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    April 2015, I reduced carbs, increased protein and exercise, and immediately felt better. Weight loss was a bonus! I know when you have a lot to lose you want it to come off fast, but if you are losing two pounds a week for 25 weeks, that's 50 pounds in 6 months.

I also like hot foods when it's cold. Since you like savory, for your breakfast recommend eggs, veggies, and something spicy. I like about an ounce of andouille sausage. You could also have leftovers from dinner. I eat a lot of chicken, potato, and broccoli.

thank you - there are some great ideas x
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My breakfast every morning is two hard boiled eggs and a banana. I love it because it's so simple--I boil up 10 eggs on Sunday night and then I don't have to do any morning meal prep all week! I'm with everyone that says that if you don't like cereals, try eggs!
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Do you really like breakfast? I always ate breakfast but find that once I eat I keep on so now , along with a lot of other folks on MFP, I eat later and try to fit calories into an 8 hour period. It works for me because I am not really hungry in the morning. Good luck anyway, small steps one day at a time
  • sharonblossom
    sharonblossom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Kirsty . I just wanted to echo dragon_girl's advice in breaking it down into smaller goals . I only ever looked at the month ahead & tried to set realistic smaller targets to hit during that month, usually setting out to lose 7lbs, sometimes less if I was close to a stone bracket or a 5% / 10% loss . Switch your focus from the weight loss to the improvement of your health & a change in lifestyle that you can maintain . One of the things I promised myself when I started was that I would plan & cook meals that I really looked forward to & knew I was going to enjoy, rather than eating the typical " diet " foods that most people think you need to exist on in order to lose weight . If you don't enjoy typical breakfast foods why not throw the rule book out & just eat what you do enjoy - homemade baked beans with mushrooms are great, as is a " healthy " fry up - I bake mushrooms, tomatoes, lean bacon in the oven, then add in asparagus at the end, then bake eggs in a nest of spinach, a lovely plateful to start the day with, or another favourite is a breakfast salad of tomatoes & avocado, a little chilli & lime juice, topped with a poached or fried egg & then drizzle over a little pesto . Find what works for you . Wishing you good luck & I promise you won't regret it . . .
  • nursekirsty
    Options
    Wow that chilli and lime salad sounds incredible - I'm not really a big breakfast eater but I tend today it so I pick at anything else.

Making fresh home made salsa with an egg and egg white omelette and avocado - that should go down a treat.

Thank you everyone