Vegan macros

Options
Hey all, I've been vegan for almost two months now (yay me!) And I re-downloaded myfitnesspal and was very curious what other vegans set their macro ratio to, and what has helped you with your progress, thank you(:

Replies

• OllieHolla
    OllieHolla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that most vegans go hclf, and if they're raw, they'll usually use a ratio like 80:10:10.
    I personally have mine set to 70:15:15, as I am not raw.
    As far as progress, I've just recently gotten into tracking mine, so I can't really say xD
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much gonna be high carb from all the fruits and veggies which is just fine. I would definitely keep the highly processed vegan stuff to a minimum (cheese and meat substitutes) and stick to whole foods and you'll be fine.

I'm likely close to the 80:10:10 but I really don't mind macros any more. Good luck :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe in using percentages to set macros.

I've mine set as follows:

Protein: Minimum 1gram per lb of lean mass
    Fat: .4-.6 grams per pound of lean mass
    Carbs: Anything up to the rest of the available calories after protein and fat goals have been reached.

There are as many ways of setting macros as there are people, and it will be goal based as well as based in personal satiety.

*edited because apparently I can't grammar before coffee.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll I believe you've said in the past you are around 60:20:20?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OllieHolla wrote: »
    I've noticed that most vegans go hclf, and if they're raw, they'll usually use a ratio like 80:10:10.
    I personally have mine set to 70:15:15, as I am not raw.
    As far as progress, I've just recently gotten into tracking mine, so I can't really say xD

I wouldn't say that "most" vegans eat this way (HCLF), although some certainly do. OP, I feel better when I include protein and fat in my diet in amounts higher than 10%. I go about 60% carbohydrates, 20-25% fat, and 15-20% protein. I did this when I was losing weight (lost about 45 pounds) and have been maintaining for a while on the same levels. I also don't make any particular effort to avoid processed foods, including meat and cheese substitutes. Processed foods can be a delicious and convenient way to meet your macronutrient needs. It wasn't that I "set" these as much as I notice that my macros are consistently in this range when I eat the foods that I enjoy and make me feel my best.

As @BecomingBane touched on, ensuring that I meet my needs for fat and protein is more important to me than the particular split. If I don't enough sufficient protein, I notice that my workouts suffer and I have less energy. When I don't get enough fat, I notice that I get cravings and that I am hungry throughout the day.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm veggie, not vegan but vegan or vegetarian macros shouldn't be any different to anyone elses; being vegan doesn't change your nutritional needs, just how you meet them.

@BecomingBane's advice is perfect. That's what I do.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also do similar to BecomingBane, setting fat and protein amounts that I treat as minimums to reach and then not worrying about it beyond that. Most weeks I end up at about 60/15/25.

Having a minimum for fat is connected to my vegan diet....I used to worry about cutting fat out of my diet when I ate meat/dairy/eggs all the time but as a vegan I am naturally cutting those things. I have to be intentional about adding some healthy fats back from nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.and making sure I get enough.