I eat cause I'm lonely

Options
Hi everyone
I have a good lot of friends very close family and work colleagues and a really loving boyfriend..... I am lucky I know but I find that when I am left alone at night (as I live alone) I EAT!!!! A lot!!!! I don't know why I do this but I have come to think lately is that it is because when the day winds down and then it's just me I relax by just hanging out alone and eating.....
Does anyone else do this? How can I stop?

Replies

• kittyy250
    kittyy250 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow Thankyou for such a great reply! I think this will help me (and hopefully others too
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    kittyy250 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I have a good lot of friends very close family and work colleagues and a really loving boyfriend..... I am lucky I know but I find that when I am left alone at night (as I live alone) I EAT!!!! A lot!!!! I don't know why I do this but I have come to think lately is that it is because when the day winds down and then it's just me I relax by just hanging out alone and eating.....

Find a hobby that keeps your hands busy in the evenings. I play online games, and have recently taken up sewing. This helps to distract me from thinking about food. I'm also trying to get into the mindset of 'the kitchen is closed' after 9pm. I wash up dishes and put them away so the kitchen is clear and ready for the next day. Then I actually say to myself, okay the kitchen is closed.

It hasn't been an instant success but I'm not snacking so much in the evenings now.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Join a club.
    Go to the gym.
    Take up a hobby.
    Take a night class.
    Go out for a long walk or bicycle ride.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like this post and needed the same advice related to loneliness and eating just to pass the time or suppress an emotional bout :(
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy/be active and having better food choices in the house would be a good place to start.
    Alot of eating is mind over matter, think of food as fuel rather than something to fill the void.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem mostly on weekends, its bad and it affects weight loss progress alot. will try the suggestion given by @rainbowbow
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you're bored as opposed to lonely? That's when I find myself wanting to eat. If you're staying within a certain calorie range per day and you're planning out your meals ahead of time, why not schedule in a late night snack so you can eat when you're at home at night without going off plan or feeling bad about it? This has really helped me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Are you able to get a dog? Having a pet for company that loves to walk and chase balls and swim gets me out of the house every evening.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    @leajas1 I think the two go hand in hand. Being alone, or lonely can absolutely lead to boredom overeating. I can attest to that!

Very true!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My husband and daughter will go to another area of our home to leave me be with my college work. I then end up attacking the fridge. It's horrible! I like the previous suggestions.