Suggestion for heart rate monitor please

Options
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get your advise on a heart rate monitor - what one would you recommend? Any experience with the watch version over chest...

I'm ideally looking for a cost effective option rather than top of the range all bells & whistles....

Thanks guys.

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jeffpiipponen
    jeffpiipponen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    POLAR with a chest strap - wide variety of choices and prices.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    As everyone else will tell you.. you need a chest strap for it to be accurate. I just got a Polar FT7 ($100 at a local store) and am thrilled with it. Much less than that and you won't have an accurate reading, so i wouldn't bother. I saved up for several months for it and I'm glad I waited for the good one instead of wasting money on something cheap. Just my opinion....
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I had a polar watch but it wasn't accurate.

But the polar F11 with the chest strap has been right on. I completely love it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Read this link on HRM's:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Also you need one with a chest strap, as they are more accurate then just the watch only versions. If you're just looking for the basics, the entry level Polar FT4 should work just fine.. It costs about 60 dollars on Amazon right now I believe.

I personally have the Polar FT7 that I bought for 79.99 dollars on drugstore.com and I like it a lot. The strap is comfortable, and the watch is easy to use and set up.

I also agree on saving up for a more expensive one rather than a cheap one. I bought a cheap Timex HRM at first, and the calorie count was through the roof. I then saved a bit, bought the FT7 and am much happier.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Can you wear the Polar chest strap all day and have it tell you how many calories you are actually burning in a 24 hr period? Sorry if this is a silly question.. I've never owned an HRM.
  • BigAL456
    BigAL456 Posts: 56
    Options
    Get a polar with a chest strap. They are not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. They are real easy to use. Which ever brand you get, make sure you get one with the chest strap. They are more accurate.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I bought the one that was rated high by consumer reports. It's not super sexy looking but works fabulous and was about $40. It's a chest-strap kind though. Its a Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch. You can find them all over and online. After workout it shows me my total time, time 'in zone', calories burned, and a few other things. I actually really like mine for how inexpensive it was. Plus, like I said it was rated really well by consumer reports.
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Can you wear the Polar chest strap all day and have it tell you how many calories you are actually burning in a 24 hr period? Sorry if this is a silly question.. I've never owned an HRM.

I wear mine sometimes for my whole time at work, just to see what I burn.
  • dad106
    Options

You can but you're not supposed to, as thats not what its made for. It's only made for tracking your calories when your heart rate is elevated.

If you want one that you can wear all day long, look into Body Bugg or Fit Bit.
  • dad106
    Options
    I bought the one that was rated high by consumer reports. It's not super sexy looking but works fabulous and was about $40. It's a chest-strap kind though. Its a Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch. You can find them all over and online. After workout it shows me my total time, time 'in zone', calories burned, and a few other things. I actually really like mine for how inexpensive it was. Plus, like I said it was rated really well by consumer reports.

This is the Timex HRM I mentioned in my first post, and I don't recommend it at all. I actually wound up returning mine, for the Polar.

When I had it, it told me that for 30 min of walking on a treadmill at the highest incline at a speed of 3.0, and it told me I burned 581 calories. Um I think not!

While it may work great for this poster, it did not for me.
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options

My 2 cents - - For the purpose of MFP, I would only log the calories during exercise and stop the watch once your heart rate is out of the zone.

I have a polar FT4F from Amazon.com's Warehouse Deals for less than $60 that works pretty well.
  • aoifebr
    aoifebr Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone this is great.