Low cal soups

Options
fwitsend1277
fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
What is your go to recipe for low cal soups? I love my broccoli soup for only 35cal a portion but would love a wider repertoire.

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Cup a soups all the way. East, cheap, yummy. I love tomato and asparagus.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hot and sour! Lots of chilli, lime juice, Asian veg, fish sauce, lemon grass and chicken.
  • fwitsend1277
    Options
    Sounds great terricherry2
  • JodyFit13
    JodyFit13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho, cold pea and ginger soup,cold minestrone.....
  • fwitsend1277
    Options
    Cold pea and ginger? Do you have a recipe @JodyFit13
  • MaxiePadd
    MaxiePadd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Add recipes? ? Please! :p

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I go with the Asian - Tom Yam soup made with tofu, prawns or seafood
    Sticks for the protein, and cherry toms, spring onions and mushrooms for the bulk. Buy a ready made paste and it takes all of about 7 mins to make including chopping!
  • fwitsend1277
    Options
    Thanks @subakwa
  • JodyFit13
    JodyFit13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cold pea and ginger? Do you have a recipe @JodyFit13

Whirl 16 oz of thawed/frozen peas in blender or food processor with a TBSP of fresh ginger and half cup of plant based milk. Add more milk if needed for your desired consistency. Top with chopped almonds or green onions.
  • fwitsend1277
    Options
    Thank you sounds great!
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is one of those Rich cheesy soups that is surprisingly low in calories and satisfies that comfort food craving. You can also load it with more vegetables.

SKINNY ROTEL-VELVEETA VEGGIE SOUP

Prepare:5
    Cook: 15 
    No svgs:10 

3 cans of chicken broth ( about 6 cups) 
    4-6 cups fresh chopped veggies of your choice, or 2 pkgs of frozen vegetables of your choice
    1 10 oz can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes & green chili peppers 
    Velveeta Light Cheese 10 oz 

Directions 
    In large stock pot combine chicken broth, Ro-Tel mix and frozen vegetables. When vegetables are cooked, add 10 ounces of light Velveeta cheese and stir until cheese has melted.

*Makes about 10 1-cup servings, about 90 calories per cup and is very filling. Number of Servings: 10
  • Lovey50
    Options
    Hot and Sour Vegetable Soup:

Sauté chopped onions and garlic in vegetable oil until soft.

Add chopped or shredded carrots, cabbage, and daikon or turnip, frozen corn, chopped boxed tomatoes with their juice and stock to cover; bring to a boil.
    Simmer for 15 minutes, then finish with about a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar per 2 cups of soup and loads of black pepper.
  • Lovey50
    Options
    This one is a great way to use leftover Chinese rice. Tailor to suit your palate.

CHICKEN CONGEE

2 cups cooked white rice
    4 cups water
    1 cup chicken stock
    2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or medium-dry sherry
    2 bone-in chicken thighs or 1/2lb chicken bones*
    3, 1/4" thick slices fresh ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 green onion tied into a knot
    1/4 yellow onion
    soy sauce, salt, and white pepper to taste
    sesame oil for drizzling
    Garlic, shallots, green onion, sweet potato, and/or other garnishes as desired.

In a medium pot, combine the rice, water, chicken stock, wine or sherry, chicken thighs or bones, ginger, garlic, green onion, and onion. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour (or 1 1/2 to 2 hours if using uncooked rice), stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.  If using chicken thighs, remove after 20 minutes, and shred the meat. Set the meat aside and return the bones to the pot. before continuing to cook the remaining 40 minutes.Once the rice grains are swollen and the mixture is like a thick oatmeal, the congee is done. Cook longer if it needs to thicken, or add small amounts of water if it's too thick until it reaches the desired consistency.Remove the bones, ginger, green onion and onion. Add soy sauce, salt, and white pepper to taste.Ladle into individual bowls, drizzle with sesame oil, top with shredded chicken, and garnish as desired.

* make this faster by using homemade store-bought chicken broth and shredded rotisserie chicken or leave out the chicken all together.

• Lovey50
    Options
    Avgolemono Soup is a treat. This is a super quick version.

SUPERFAST AVGOLEMONO SOUP

6 cups chicken broth
    3⁄4 cup leftover rice*
    3 eggs
    1 lemon, juice of

DIRECTIONS

Bring broth to boil in saucepan, and add rice. Bring to a soft boil and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice absorbs maximum liquid and the broth thickens, about 10 minutes. While the rice cooks, lightly beat the eggs and the lemon juice together. Remove the broth from heat. Slowly mix about one cup of the hot broth into egg-lemon mixture. Add to the soup gradually while stirring. If desired, place saucepan back on the heat, and stir until soup is heated through (DO NOT BOIL)

*I've also made this last version without the rice, just the broth and egg and lemon and it's delicious.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Loving the recipes, thanks. It's mid winter here in Australia, so very much soup time ;)

My current favourite:

CURRY PUMPKIN SOUP
    750ml water
    400ml light coconut milk
    2kg pumpkin
    180g curry recipe base

DIRECTIONS
    Combine the flavour base, pumpkin and water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.

Place the pumpkin mixture in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and add the coconut cream. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through.

Ladle the soup among serving bowls.
    --

I change up which recipe base I'm using - this week it is a Sri Lankan Chicken Curry, but I've used satay curries and Indian curries as well. Makes about 6 hearty servings, at about 170cal per serve (I use the extra calories to have some nice buttered toast ;) ). I make enough soup for lunch for the week, stores well in the fridge.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas. I love soup and it helps me stay full. because I love to much away. thanks for the recipes
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Pepper Soup (Cooking Light)

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's is too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage based soups.