Blisters on hands from deadlift. Fat hands

Options
I am using knit gloves to help with grip. I'm a beginner so I'm not even lifting super heavy. But my hands are fat and its pinching when I do deadlifts. Any ideas? Will nicer gloves help? Am I just out of luck until I lose more weight in my hands lol. l0wyb6bewabv.jpg

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you tried deadlifting without gloves? Maybe use chalk to help with grip.

Friction between the glove and the barbell may be causing blisters - like when you wear new shoes.
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was lifting without gloves and getting them so I tried to go it's hoping it would help I have not tried chalk though!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    what ^^^ said. I never wear gloves and deadlift 1-2x/week and you wouldn't know it looking at my hands. You may rough up the skin a tiny bit while learning, but you shouldn't develop huge callouses or blisters or rip off large chunks of skin.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lesely2603 wrote: »
    I'm getting callouses but I look at them with pride.

Cosign!

@Lesely2603 Are they worse on your non-dominant hand? Mine are. I think it's because I grip harder with that hand because I feel less coordinated on that side.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729. Yes my left hand is worse.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you started using gloves to begin with? Were you having trouble gripping without them or did you start using them just as standard equipment?
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Watch the video. I was having issues with the skin pinching and got gloves. Kept reading and watching, then changed my grip. Big difference. I also use a pumice on my hands when I get calluses on the inside of my hands.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You are not gripping the bar properly.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Grip lower in your hands.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Don't use gloves. The fabric is probably sliding on your hands causing the blisters. I have never once seen a power lifter wear them, so why should you?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lose the gloves and grab some chalk. If you go double over or hook grip, try straps.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Might not be the answer you want mate but i'd say just embrace it, your hands will harden up through time as calluses develop.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Versa Gripps...
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Research proper deadlift grip. If you're lifting light, most likely it's incorrect grip.
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Looking into a better grip and chalk. I only started using the gloves because I thought it would help the pinching stop.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    your poor little hands. ditch the gloves, use reverse grip and lots of chalk.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Looking into a better grip and chalk.

Chalk comes in block, powder and liquid form. You don't have to get weight lifting specific chalk.

Go to the climbing section of any well stocked sporting goods store and they should sell it there. I went to REI and bought a chalk filled bag, a waist band w/bag holder and an extra package of powdered chalk for cheap. Haven't had to get a refill yet.

If you prefer, you can just put block and powdered chalk in a metal bowl and place it on the floor or a small table to use as you need. Only problem w/block and powder is the dust. Liquid chalk is for those places that don't like people to use chalk. No dust but very expensive.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if im at a gym that dones't have a chalk bucket, i have my own in a tupperwear in my gym bag. i like the powder its like magic fairy dust.