Best post workout snack?

Options
Any suggestions for a quick post workout snack?
I am new to this ..but it seems like protein is the best thing to eat post workout? I do quite a bit of strength training and cardio...but typically just eat a yogurt when im back from the gym. Are there better alternates to this?
Thanks!

Replies

• mdayishere
    mdayishere Posts: 14
    Options
    Protein is your beast bet for after workouts! I like raw almonds, but anything low fat low calorie will work. Protein shakes are a good choice also. Keep up the good work :):smooched: :smooched:
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    Nuts. I like almonds. Although I don't know if that's good to eat or not. I just like them because they are simple and filling.
  • chardawg80
    chardawg80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always load up on protein post workout, need it to rebuild the muscle tissue, especially if you are strength training

Some suggestions:

1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese (Friendship is the best) - 90 Calories, 1g fat, 16g protein
    Starkist Tuna pouch - 80 Calories, 1g fat, 18g protein

I myself prefer 2 cups 1% milk with a protein bar...

good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is great, as is milk or a protein shake. Carbs are important post workout as well and yogurt and milk to contain some of that as well.
  • fumblerdog
    fumblerdog Posts: 63
    Options
    My absolute favorite post-workout/recovery treat? Chocolate milk. It has a great balance of protein and carbs, and it is yummy to boot!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually have some oatmeal before I start running :smile:
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i usually have a protein shake or hard boiled egg or a banana. peanut butter is also good but watch the fat content
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of milk with Body Fortress protein powder- LOTS of protein. It's cheapest at Walmart online.
  • erickirb
    Options
    My absolute favorite post-workout/recovery treat? Chocolate milk. It has a great balance of protein and carbs, and it is yummy to boot!

a lot of people push this due to the balance of cabs and protein, but I think it would be much better to have regular milk and something with cabs on the side, as most of the carbs in Chocolate milk are simple carbs consisting of sugar, when you really want to ingest a mix of complex carbs and simple sugars.

Chocolate milk has to much sugar, and is not really a healthy option.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

My favorite too! Sometimes I mix protein powder in it,depending on how intense my workout is.
  • Akerman
    Akerman Posts: 16
    Options
    Postworkout meal should be eaten within 20 minutes of finishing your workout. It should consist of protein (typically a shake) and a simple carb such as a banana or dextrose added to your protein shake.
    The simple carbs are vital after a workout. More important immediately post workout then protein.
    Fats should be completely avoided immediately post workout. Your bodys ability to burn off or metabolise fat is less or slower following a workout. Protein and simple carbs....thats it. Then 1-2 hours after your workout you should have a meal.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Is it better for your body to have a post-workout snack (obviously a healthy snack) or is it better to not have anything at all????
  • erickirb
    Options
    Is it better for your body to have a post-workout snack (obviously a healthy snack) or is it better to not have anything at all????

It is best to have something with carbs and protein, having nothing may end up hurting your progress as your muscle will not repair as fast.
  • MissNombril
    Options
    A shake of prot and... some sweets, as soon as I finish training.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    i always have grilled chix in the fridge, so i munch on that when i get home
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    A tall glass of Chocolate Milk - nonfat of course

Or a smoothie!

1 scoop of whey protein
    1/2 cup of frozen berries
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup skim milk

This makes one tall glass... the perfect amount!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options

Your body needs something post work out to help your muscles recover.
  • pickulz76
    pickulz76 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

Whey Protein is the protein powder you get? Right?
    Any specific brand?
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bar of chocolate or a few biscuits, which I put right besides the DVD-player when I do my workout, just to keep me going throughout the workout.

10 more minutes till chocolate time, 5 more minutes, one more minute...

YESSSSSSSSSS........ bliss....