I used to be on the success stories board.

Options
I used to be on the success stories board. Not anymore.
I still login everyday, and still have an amazing streak (almost 1100 days), but I stopped logging food a long time ago. At some point after that I also stopped working out (the regular excuses - no time, no energy, skipping "only one" won't change anything, etc).
Slowly but surely, I've gained 22 lbs in the past year - after losing almost 50 lbs.
I lost more than I ever imagined possible. I felt good about my body for the first time in my life.
I used to be proud of myself. And now I feel like I lost everything I achieved, and not sure how to get back on track - again with the excuses. I didn't used to make excuses. I do now.
I'm happy in every other aspect of my life, and have support, but it sort of feels "too late". Like maybe if I had only gained a little bit it would've been easier to lose it again. But it's not only 5 lbs to lose anymore...
Any advice?

Replies

• phatbird79
    phatbird79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. I got within 5 lbs of my goal weight of 10 stone (140lbs) from being more than 18 stone (250+ lbs) over the course of 14 months. I managed to maintain under 11 stone (154) for a year, I would work out about 5 times a week and had booked myself into a 10K race for June 16. Then I broke my toe and had to give up the fitness classes and running for a while back in March, as I recovered from that I ended up in hospital and have just come out the other side of a 8+ week recovery. I’m back up to 12 stone 5lbs (173lbs) and now need to lose 28 Lbs to get back to where I was, it feels like an epic journey again!

I can’t tell you what works because I’m back at the beginning myself, however I can tell you how I’m approaching it. When I lost the weight before it was such a massive task that I broke it down into smaller challenges and goals, so I plan on doing the same again. I’m going to set my first goal as attending fitness classes again, just 1 a week to start with and then up the amount slowly until I’m back to 3 a week. I’m going to run at least once a week, but not set myself a distance to achieve and see how my stamina builds back up. As for my weight management, well I’ll start off by getting back under 12 stone (168lbs) at which point I’m no longer classed as overweight, then I’ll set myself 7lbs challenges until I get back under 11 stone. I won’t set myself a timescale and if I put weight on, or miss a fitness class or 2 I won’t beat myself up, I’ll just start again. I’ve come too far from where I was to give up and head back down the path where I hated my body.

I’m very lucky in that I have a very supportive boyfriend who will join me when I run and will eat whatever I do and won’t buy takeaways or complain that there’s no chocolate in the house, I can see how people can easily become disenchanted by the process and give up. What I need to change the most is my image of myself, I still talk to myself in a way that I wouldn’t let anyone else get away with. Rather than telling myself what I don’t like, I need to start finding things that I do like and build on those, then I know I’ll want to do this for me! Wishing you good luck.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Get right back to the things you did that worked the first time around, do it asap, no excuses. Sure, when I carve out time for the gym I usually have to punt something else to the next day. Working out every *other* day makes sure your home doesn't turn into a pigsty, and works perfectly well. I gained back ten when I had no gym access due to a lot of moving crapola that went completely sideways.... but that's over. Now it must come right back off and I am back busting my bootay at the gym.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Stop and decide where you want to be a year from now, back at your original weight or really close to your goal weight?? Be grateful that today's the day you're turning it around-there are a LOT of people on here that gained back their original weight and then some. ALL IS NOT LOST!! But you can still 'lose it all'. :smiley: smile:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs, but gained it all back.... I got sick of logging and lost track, or didn't care what I was eating. Now I have a chance to lose the weight before it really affects my health.

I find posting on the forums at least once a day to be very helpful to being motivated to log calories (You already know what your goal needs to be).

Once I loose my weight again (Now I know keeping it off is the hardest part) I'm going to do something along these lines to make it easier for myself and so I don't have to log for the rest of my life. (I will log if I go up 5 lbs)

I, of course, will tailor these to fit my lifestyle and change them as needed, (not all will apply) but I find these to be a good general game plan for when I don't want to log.
    • Limit your intake of sweets, refined carbohydrates, and fried foods. (Note: I didn’t say “never eat sweets, refined carbohydrates, or fried foods.”)
    • Avoid eating in front of the television or computer.
    • Eat more vegetables and fewer starches. (In other words, gravitate toward foods that fill you up for fewer calories.)
    • Take slightly smaller portions.
    • Stop at a single cocktail or glass of wine.
    • Have fruit for dessert—or no dessert, most of the time.
    • Drink water or tea instead of soda.
    • Make time most days for a 20-30 minute walk at lunch or before dinner, or both.
    • Take time on weekends to shop and do a little cooking so that you’re not as dependent on take-out and prepared foods to get you through the busy week.
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you've never run a 5k before, you could start training for one to give yourself a kickstart.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the kind advice.
    Yes, I do know what works for me and what I need to do, and I don't want to change the things I did before, because it took me a long time to figure out what's right for me and what's the (only) workout that I like and can actually stay consistant with.
    Yet honestly, the biggest problem I'm facing right now, is motivation.
    Yesterday I already started getting myself back on track, and right now I just hope that I can find the motivation that I desperately need.
    Thank you all!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Noamsh wrote: »
    Yes, I do know what works for me and what I need to do, and I don't want to change the things I did before, because it took me a long time to figure out what's right for me and what's the (only) workout that I like and can actually stay consistant with.
    Yesterday I already started getting myself back on track, and right now I just hope that I can find the motivation that I desperately need.
    Thank you all!

Best of luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Noamsh wrote: »
    Thank you all!

I think part of the issue for a lot of people is that they see an end goal when it comes to weight loss. They have the mindset that they are going to change their life for a set period of time and then when they reach their goal weight they can go back to their "normal" behavior. Rather than fall into that mindset why not change your behavior now to what you'll have to do to maintain your goal weight, not to what you need to do to get to that goal weight?

Seriously, if 140 pounds is your goal weight how many calories do you need to eat to maintain that weight? Make that your daily goal now. You'll lose the weight a little more slowly, certainly, but you won't have to make any changes once you reach your goal and you will eventually get there. Also, decide now how much exercise you need to do to be at the fitness level you want. Do only the things you like to do and that you know you'll keep doing into the future. If you hate to run, don't run. If you despise the gym, don't join one.
  • quilter46
    quilter46 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have seen success with weight loss in my life. I am 62 years old and my weight has always been a struggle for me. I have done Weight Watchers at least 10 times and have lost weight each time. Four years ago I got diagnosed with colon cancer and had to have surgery to remove the large tumor in my colon. Fortunately I did not have to have any chemo or radiation. but then the next year I developed a hernia as a result of the cancer surgery, so I had a surgery to fix that. Then the next year, I developed tumors on my ovaries. So I had surgery to remove all that. They were benign. But after having 3 surgeries in 3 years, and very little support from my family, I have completely given up on myself. I used to walk 4 miles a day, now I can barely walk to the car. I am up to 268 pounds and have NO motivation. I just don't believe I am worth it, I guess. So I can really relate to your story. I am wondering if my problem is I want change to happen overnight. Or maybe I need some serious counseling. Any way, I wish you the best of everything going forward.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @quilter46. Jumping in with @lorrpb to give you a hug and say if you need the support, counselling will help you work through the trauma your mind and body have been through recently. Make small changes that you can live with. It may be slower than you want, but it will happen.

I am 62, I only had to lose 30lbs but have been successfully maintaining that loss for over 6 years while continuing to get fitter and stronger.
    ( @lorrpb we make such a good team. Your persistence losing, mine maintaining, while we both improving our fitness :) )

@Noamsh. Great that you are getting back at it. You are still a success- you haven't sat on your laurels and let the weight pile back on, you have seen a gain and are addressing it. That is a whole lot of positive.

As stated above I have been maintaining for 6+ years. If these tips aren't part of your repertoire, you may want to add them.

Try not to over restrict calories or food choices. I had to be able to fit in pasta with cream sauce, cake, and wine, weight loss was probably a little slower; but I was a lot happier.

Know your portion sizes. It's great when you can weigh your food, but there are times that you can't, or you may at some point want to confidently stop counting. Knowing your portion sizes is a great help. I rarely log or weigh my food, but do log and weigh for a week or so a couple of times a year just to prevent calorie creep.

Log exercise and eat an appropriate amount of those calories back. This means if you stop for any reason you are not sat at a stall or have to do a drastic cut to your calories.

Try to have a very steady exercise routine for 4-6 weeks, log accurately for that time too, then use the data from MFP to work out your average calorie burn for 60 min exercise. This makes it easy to add and subtract calories.

Don't fret over days that you are way over or way under, you are building habits for a life time. Parties, holidays, hangovers, illness all happen, and all can affect your intake. Look at overall trends, downward for now, a 5-10 lbs range in maintenance.

It really is making it work for you so you are happy.

Sorry if I have been stating the obvious.

Cheers, h.
  • quilter46
    quilter46 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I will look into some counseling and take all your advice! I appreciate you taking the time to write. :smile:
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm just like you. I lost 47 lbs but summer gatherings, major work stress and birthdays have got the weight slowly creeping back up. I haven't worked out in 3 days and today I already planned to not stick to the plan. I have to get my *kitten* in gear. I've also been like you where I lost 50 lbs and gained every single pound back. I felt like you do. It sucked. I know I don't want to be back there again though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @tbullucks2006, you are posting here! That means you are aware of what is happening and not willing for it to continue unaddressed. Hooray!

What may help you cope with the missed exercise sessions is to actually drop your expectations over the summer months.
    I drop formal exercise altogether as I have active summers. Try saying I will work out 3 days a week for the summer, and get back on track after the September holiday. A small calorie adjust ment may be needed to compensate depending on how you count your exercise calories.

As for things like 'Burt's to die for BBQ', try looking at your weekly calories. Quite often it is easy to drop a couple of hundred calories a day or two mid week to give you the extra for the weekend.

Cheers, h.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm not yet a success story. Even though I've lost close to 60 lb I'm still obese. I know what works for me. I do not and never have exercised for weight loss. I have exercised, quite vigorously. My work schedule occasionally, as now, precludes that. For weight loss I live in a calorie deficit. It's not a diet. It's not a program. It's just that way it's going to be.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing - lost almost 50 lbs, then gained it all back,and am starting over and hoping to get back to what I had already achieved.

I know (basically) how to incorporate exercise, calorie counting, macros, all that stuff. But knowing how isn't the same as motivating to do it every day.

When I was successful before, I made this my whole focus. Every day I thought about exercise, calories, weight loss. I rarely went out with friends, I rarely ate out, unless it was somewhere that I could track calories from via their website. As soon as I loosened up those restrictions and started going out to dinner/ drinks with friends more, skipping the gym, etc, the weight came back.

So this time around, I'm trying really hard to just modify my normal life to include better eating and more exercise. But the motivation is HARD. I know that. A couple things I've found that help are:

* Pre-logging meals for the week, then just adjust if necessary as you go.
    * Talk about it somewhere every day - I am part of a group on here that's not big or super active, but just writing to people every day about how i'm doing really helps keep this whole process in the forefront of my mind
    * Liking people's statuses on here. For a while I was just logging in to keep my streak. When I actually take a minute or two to engage with people, it makes me feel more accountable.
    * Reminding myself that this has to be a priority, and that unfortunately it's going to take consistent effort on my part to be successful at it.
    * Setting a goal per week for activity. I'm part of another group that has the goal of 150 minutes per week. Start by including any activity - stretching, walking, gardening, whatever... then increase it once you start to get more motivation for it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I lost 75 and gained it back over a few years. I'm now back down 60. You know what you have to do. So rather than making it a massive project, just make small changes over time. Walk 30 mins, pack your lunch every day, like Olyrose said "just modify my normal life to include better eating and more exercise."