Oatmeal

Options
I have recently gotten sorta interested in oatmeal, I thought I hated it most of my life, and have recently gotten the nerve to try it again. Its pretty good :happy: However, the version I tried was the instant kind because I didn't want to have a ton of it around if I wasnt going to eat it. How do you like yours? I am normally on a time crunch- is there a way I could make it for several days and reheat without it changing?

Replies

• titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this as well.

Steel cut oats, can you make a big batch and throw it in the fridge for a few days, will it keep and taste the same?

I'm pressed for time in the morning and don't think I'd stick to it if I had to take a half hour or more to boil it each morning.
  • mwatson23
    mwatson23 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am exactly the same I hated oatmeal as a kid and now...not so bad :)

I boil the water the night before and then just let the oats soak overnight, then you just heat it up in the am in the microwave...either that or I have made a bigger batch and then keep it in the fridge in seperate containers with all my favorite toppings right in the container too (walnuts and cranberries usually with a little maple syrup), then reheat in the microwave...tastes good to me :) I actually end up taking it to the office and eating as I check my emails cause I am terrible at mornings and at least this way I get breakfast in :)
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been making a pot of steel cut oats in my rice cooker once a week and eating it for about 4-5 days. At first I hated the taste but it is starting to grow on me.
  • AKAMrsR
    AKAMrsR Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with instant oatmeal. There may be some different nutrition, but it still has the whole grains. I never liked it until a few years ago and I live in GA so I can't stand eating hot cereal everyday. But when I do eat oatmeal, I use milk instead of water and put in a little splenda and frozen fruit before putting it in the microwave and it's delicious! :)
  • titletown
    Options
    I started cooking my steel cut oats the night before and they are just fine in the morning.

Thanks for the tip. Not being a morning person to begin with, every extra minute helps ;)
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hey me too! I hated oatmeal as a kid but have acquired a taste for it in middle age! Just when I started switching to a healthier diet too. Goodness super foods does great barley and oats and it's very healthy too. It only takes 4 minutes to boil! I initially had my oats with a tsp of honey but have tried to wean myself off added sugar. Do you guys/gals add anything?
  • titletown
    Options
    I add a tbs of flax oil, 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein a tbs of honey and maybe a tsp of cinnamon, Yum!

Very filling and a super healthy way to start off the day.
  • Vanessahogan03
    Vanessahogan03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal when its sweet. However sweet usually means extra calories. When I was diabetic during my pregnancy I discovered the world of splenda. Splenda now has came out with this half and half brown sugar. Half brown sugar and half splenda. Its only 10 calories a serving and a little bit goes a long way. Thats how I get my brownsugar fix with my oatmeal.
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    I grew up on oatmeal, but can only eat it the way my used to mom make it--with fruit! Make it the same way most have stated above (boil water, add oats) and then throw in some fresh or frozen fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, oh my! Also add in some vanilla soy milk (or milk). The fruit sweetens it up so you don't need any added sugar (unless you want to!).

Very tasty! :)