Too hot to work out

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
Do you still work out when its a heat wave? I find I'm really struggling. Its about 90 degrees inside and a little hotter out. The heat wipes my energy and I feel like I can hardly do anything. I eat less because the heat kills my appetite too but my goal is to get fit not skinny.

If you live in the heat what do you do to power through? What tips can you offer?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, I work out when it's hot. If I have to, I go slower. I drink plenty of fluids. If I am not as hungry, I plan meals that sound appealing even when it is hot (for me that would be things like gazpacho or other cold soups, avocado toast, chickpea salad sandwiches, watermelon salads, smoothie bowls, cold noodles with peanut sauce, etc).

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It's been 100 degrees here for a while and I don't really do any serious work out (I just walk a couple miles most days) so I try to go at 8am at the latest. If that's too early for you or you can't do that, maybe work out inside with a fan on?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I get out early before it starts to heat up.

This. If I know I need to run that day I try to run at like 6am or earlier just before the heat/humidity gets too bad. I hate treadmills. So, if I only have to do a 2 mile run, I'll go to the gym but if it's anymore, I just force myself to get up earlier.
  • Ipedal4pleasure
    Ipedal4pleasure Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I live in north Texas and am acclimated to the heat, I don't like running on treadmills so I endure the heat when I run and cycle. I try to do it when its cooler but lets face it 90s at 9PM its a bit to late to run or cycle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    We get periodic heat waves here and my flat is just sauna like all summer really. I blast the fan and just get on with it. I might have to take it down a notch and of course drink a lot more but I get it done anyway. Your body adjusts pretty quickly. If I'm in a running mood I try to do it at the crack of dawn when it's cooler.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. If I wasn't able to do that, I'd do it first thing in the morning too.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Too hot, or too cold, to run outside I hit the gym and the treadmill.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the motivation. No excuses! Time to pull out the room fan and get my Insanity on.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Use your best judgement, to be honest. I get extremely light headed and get a headache in temperatures 75F+. Keep yourself hydrated and exercise in an air conditioned area if possible.

Hot bod ain't worth getting heat stroke.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I work out indoors in the comfort of my own home where I have a/c.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    can you go where its cooler like a mall and just do some walking? I have AC so I workout indoors when its too hot
  • joestop74
    joestop74 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just finished cycling 23 miles and swimming .5 miles. I got home from my ride and it was 103 degrees. The most important thing is hydrating before, during, and after. It's super hot and you're going to sweat tons. Also, in your water add either salt tablets or some electrolytes (gu, etc). This will help.
    Of course, if you can get out early morning that's great.
    Also, hydrate, did I say that. It actually makes a HUGE difference.
    EDIT: I'm in AZ
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    When it gets really hot, I do most of my exercises indoors. I have a Schwinn 150 stationary bike that I can use for cardio instead of walking. The rest of the exercises I do are mainly strength training, which is normally done indoors anyways.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like to run at 4:30 AM its still warm and humid but tolerable. The best part is I am done before the sun comes up.

That's what I usually do. Except last Saturday was still 77F and 100% humidity at 5:00 am. I was 4 miles into my long run when I realized that this wasn't going to work unless I grew gills. Finished up at home and after that experience almost sort of enjoyed the treadmill!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I also live in Florida and if we waited for comfortable weather to exercise in, we would only get out maybe four months out of the year.

However, I do my bicycling as early as possible in the day and only go for about two or three hours at the most and try to find the shadiest routes. I bring as much fluids as I can carry and plan a stop at a store in the middle of my ride to refill. Even with all that, I pay close attention to how I feel and I ride with a partner in case either of us needs help.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am so I get in 4 miles before work. It's smoldering if I try to do it after work.