Pescatarians & Vegetarians

Options
Hello to all the Pescatarians and Vegetarians on here. How is your healthy eating and fitness going? Share tips on increasing protein intake.

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't need to increase protein intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will often have a scoop of protein powder with my cold-brew coffee in the AM, I try to eat beans every day, and I regularly eat tofu, seitan, and tempeh.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    We've been putting this in our tacos lately.

16393403?wid=480&hei=480

It's yummy, expensive, high in protein, and moderate in calories. A lot of meat substitute products have lots of protein for a decent amount of calories. Dairy is your friend too. Cheesy taquitos, etc.

I make a smoothie with raspberries, peanut butter, protein mix, and milk. It's like a sorbet, and has lots of calories, but it's very good.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Especially baked in a hot, spicy marinade. It's like crack. I have to make several batches per week because it just "disappears" (and this from DH who actively dislikes tofu)..
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I still need to try baked tofu! I primarily use protein powder and greek yogurt. If you eat shellfish, shrimp is a great protein source for the calories.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,968 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Especially baked in a hot, spicy marinade. It's like crack. I have to make several batches per week because it just "disappears" (and this from DH who actively dislikes tofu)..

Would you have a recipe for this? :)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

That's helpful. Could've at least shared how you get your protein!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

That's helpful. Could've at least shared how you get your protein!

I like food like tofu and seitan but I don't worry about "increasing protein", because I'm not deficient in it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    To be safe, because the body doesn't absorb all you eat go with 0.41 grams per pound (Unless you are an athlete)
    I need over 100 grams a day. That's hard with just beans (I am not a bean fan). I don't like the idea of eating tofu every day either. I don't have a good solution yet, I just discovered the body weight for RDA doesn't apply to me. I thought I needed 56 a day which was easy to get from plants.

Protein in the Vegan Diet
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake with soy milk in the mornings, edamame as a snack and regularly make tofu, beans, lentils and yogurt part of my meals. I love shrimp and salmon as well.
  • strawberryswirl01
    strawberryswirl01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of soya milk. I have it with my cereal, in tea & in my smoothies.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Beans. Chickpeas. Eggs. Cheese. Peanut butter. Yoghurt. Cauliflower. Protein shake if I'm desperate. I'm pescetarian so on the days I eat fish I go for HP options such as tuna steak though that's not very often because it's expensive. I'm 90% veggie.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, greek yogurt, beans, veggies, and i do eat fish, a lot. most bang for your buck by far. no fat no carbs....almost all protein. j