Marathon Training Concerns

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year old female, about 125-130 pounds and in good athletic shape. I decided a few months ago to apply for the lottery for the Chicago Marathon - and surprisingly, I got a spot! For the past 1-2 months, I have been pretty steadily running on the treadmill. I have been doing the majority of my training on the treadmill as it's ungodly hot here in Chicago this time of year (85+ by the time I get off work at 5). The marathon is October 9th of this year.

I can currently run about 10 miles on the treadmill (it's tough, though). My current training program says that I should be at about 9 outdoors right now. I'm very concerned about making the transition to outdoor running as I've heard its a lot harder than treadmill running.

Yesterday, I went out for a VERY HILLY 6 miles outside and had an extremely rough time. I had to stop at mile 4 to stretch. Do you think if I continue to incorporate outdoor running in my schedule that I will be okay for the marathon?

Any marathoners out there have any advice on this topic?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would definitely encourage you to transition to running, as much as possible, outdoors as soon as possible.

Years ago when I trained for my first 5K I did most of it on the treadmill and had horrific shin splints by the 3rd km.

The good news is that the Chicago course is quite flat, if you're training in hilly terrain (slow down and walk if you have to) you'll be very well prepared come race day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I find outdoor running much easier (I think treadmill running is unbearably boring and can't imagine doing more than an hour of it), but you will definitely want to transition to at least some outdoor running to get the feel of it (also IMO it's much more pleasant for the long runs, and you do need to know how it feels on your feet, as just running for that long and the toll on the feet was something that really struck me as the hardest thing about my first marathon, and I think it's something to be prepared for). I don't think it will be hard to transition, though, and this weather can't keep up that much longer (I'm in Chicago too, got to get in the early morning run lately).

Hills are going to be harder if you aren't used to them, I wouldn't worry about that feeling tougher. That's not about it being outdoors, and the marathon isn't hilly at all. (I did the St. Charles half and was like "why are there hills, I'm used to Chicago!") ;-) The other reason you might have struggled is the weather -- heat and humidity make a huge difference when you aren't used to them, especially.

Anyway, have fun with the training, that's great you got in!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you can i would plan on a long run on saturday or Sunday morning early if you are off on the weekends. This will get you out on the road and you will need some long runs in your training. It helps if you can select a route that has some water fountains along the way and you will need some fuel too. If cramping is happening try a Mcdonalds salt pack (just one). My sisters Triathlon trainer told her to try that and it worked great. Good Luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would definitely encourage you to transition to running, as much as possible, outdoors as soon as possible.

I agree. You need to embrace the heat, even if it means running extremely slow. Anything you can do outside now with better prepare you for October. It's likely that you will have a nice, temperate race day in October in Chicago, but on the outside chance that it is hot, without prior outdoor training in the heat, you will suffer greatly. Not trying to discourage you, just keeping it real.

On the same token, do not judge your ability to run outside in July as an indication of your preparedness for a marathon. EVERYONE has a hard time in the heat and humidity.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I went out for a VERY HILLY 6 miles outside and had an extremely rough time. I had to stop at mile 4 to stretch.

Just 20.2 more miles to go. You can do it!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have a marathon on the same day that you do and it will also be my first. I'm not sure what training plan you are using, but I'm currently doing long runs of about 14-15 miles once a week with additional runs of 2-7 miles throughout the week. Like others have said, I would really try to get as much outdoor running as possible -- it's very different than treadmill running and you'll also get a feel for how to pace yourself outside. Everyone runs slower in the heat, so let yourself go slower and just focus on the miles (I'm currently in Minneapolis where we're having a heat wave with high humidity, so going through this myself).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I live in Tucson, AZ, so trust me I know hot. I scoff at your measly 85+ degrees as that is about the temperature when I get up in the morning to run at 5:45 AM. Since it's our rainy season the humidity is over 50%, too, so it's not even a dry heat. :lol:

Seriously, there are no races around here this time of year and it's hot as Hades out there but I still get up and run 3 or 4 miles before work in the summer. Why? Because running in the heat makes me a faster runner when it cools down. Yes, it sucks. Yes, you run more slowly but it pays off in the end. I wish I had hills near me because hills also make you faster.

So get out there. Run in the heat, run those hills and just know it's going to be rough at first and you're going to go much slower than you would on the treadmill. But also know that you're going to kill that marathon when it comes because you'll be much stronger than you would have if you'd kept running on the treadmill.
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Get outside!!! It's hot right now (I live in Chicagoland as well- and ran the Chicago marathon in the past) the race has a history of having very hot days! If you're in Chicago hit up the lake front path, if you're in the suburbs try the prairie path.
    But I would transition your run to completely outside ASAP.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Get outside. You want want to be on a treadmill was you get a feeling for outdoors.