Gained weight??!

Options
I've been eating right and exercising...yet I've gained 1 of the whole 2 pounds I've lost back!!?? So discouraging and makes me want to give up. Sometimes I feel I was meant to be fat. :(
Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do NOT give up. I'm right there with ya. My scale hasn't moved at all, and i was up a lb yesterday..... How often are you weighing yourself? I've been weighing everyday, and I'm finding that I can't do that- I HAVE to do it once a week caus my weight fluctuates like crazy. it could be water weight? Have you been eating a lot of sodium?
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. That happens to everyone. It took a full two months of being consistent eating right and exercising before I starting seeing the scale go down. Expect to go up and down; even better, stop looking at the scale.

Don't get discouraged. Keep at it. You can do it!
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    The body fluctuates 1 or 2 pounds a day naturally, through water weight. It could be anything. As long as your long term trends go down, I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 pounds. Weigh yourself once a week instead of every day.
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you, but I understand what you are going through. Have you tried to take your waist and hip measurements? sometimes tracking those will show more progress. Muscle mass takes up less space than fat, so while it may seem like you are not losing weight you are losing inches. watch to see how your cloths fit.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hear you! When I first started on here a few weeks ago I was only losing like 0.2 lbs every few days and thats it unless I gained 0.2 lbs. Then I started losing and I've lost 11lbs total. Now, I'm stuck at the same weight for 3-4 days again. It's very frustrating when I know I've been eating better and not eating as much and I've been exercising as well! I definitely have days where I feel like I'm just supposed to be fat. I have noticed sometimes it takes a couple of days or so for my work to show. Hopefully it's the same for you. Try not to get too discouraged (even though I know how hard it is).
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Trust me...I was SO frustrated when this would happen to me. Sometimes, it's water weight, other times it's muscle gained from working out, and sometimes, it's just because of the time you weigh yourself. Trust me, don't let it stop you! Keep it up! :)

Oh, and a good tip...DON'T weigh everyday! I used to do that...horrible habit. Now, I weigh myself once a week at the same time, same day.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    dont give up, it happens to all of us !!! it sucks though I know how it feels, all that work for nothing but you may be surprised in week to have a big loss or an inch gone
  • lbelfrey
    lbelfrey Posts: 63
    Options
    That happened to me too. I had reduced my calorie intake too soon, so I went back up to MFP's suggested calorie intake and I saw the scale move down almost instantly 2.4 lbs. I will see what happens next week. I heard some have lost hair by lowering calorie intake too soon and I don't want that to happen. So I agree just keep doing the right things, it may take a couple of months to adjust.
    Louisa
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It was like that for me as well when I started out. I purchased a heart rate monitor and realized there was a discrepancy between what I actually burn and the MFP figures - I was eating back too many calories.
  • ShabbyAbby007
    ShabbyAbby007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was listening to some Sister Hazel songs that I hadn't listen to in years and there is one called "Change your mind". The chorus to this song is "If you want to be somebody else then change your mind"! This really hit home with me.

Concentrate on changing your life instead of changing your weight. Start thinking like who you wish you were. Think, act, and eat like a the weight you want to be and and the kind of person you want to be. You WILL eventually become that person.

Forget the scales for now. Change your mind!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It happens. Depends on what you eat and how it affects your water retension.

What works for me - is to weigh daily, and weekly, and chart it. Then I can have averages and trend lines to encourage me - showing that they're going in the right direction.

Take a look at this - the blue is daily. Red is average. Blue straight is linear trend. And triangles are weekly, with a linear trend line.

Hope this helps.

chart-3.gif
  • Evans_momma
    Options
    Thanks everyone, tons of good advice! It is very discouraging but I will keep on keeping on!!!! :)
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It happens. Depends on what you eat and how it affects your water retension.

What works for me - is to weigh daily, and weekly, and chart it. Then I can have averages and trend lines to encourage me - showing that they're going in the right direction.

Take a look at this - the blue is daily. Red is average. Blue straight is linear trend. And triangles are weekly, with a linear trend line.

Hope this helps.

chart-3.gif

Through a patented proprietary process which I am not at liberty to share I can enter the minds of MFP members. Below is a chart of how they tend to think if they weigh each day. A solution to the problem is to weigh once a week at the same time of day (Like just before breakfast).

Good Luck with your journey.

Picture2.png
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I've recently gotten into the habit of measuring myself in inches. You know, bust, waist, hips...MFP even has a spot for neck measurements lol. (But rightly so, because you actually lose from there!) Try focusing on that more than numbers. It has helped me a lot and allows me to appreciate even the slightest improvement.

Best of luck!
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try to hang in there. I weigh myself daily (bad habit) but I record it and compare from the week before. Today, I'm up 2 lbs from where I was a week ago today. I felt so proud on the holiday weekend passing on hamburgers, hotdogs, cupcakes, apple pie, ice cream, etc and sticking to my eating plan. I was looking forward to losing another pound but instead I gained two. It can really be heartbreaking. I try to look at the overall loss and feel good about that.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Through a patented proprietary process which I am not at liberty to share I can enter the minds of MFP members. Below is a chart of how they tend to think if they weigh each day. A solution to the problem is to weigh once a week at the same time of day (Like just before breakfast).

Good Luck with your journey.

Picture2.png
    BenFallen,

Because of Copyright violations, you now owe me a case of good, cold, dark, foreign beer. PM me for shipping instructions.

LOL.

Edit - PS. Notice the once a week weight measurements in the trendline above your grafitti?