Itchy, burning legs when I run?!

Options
I don't know if this topic has been posted before, but lately my legs have been getting very itchy and red when I run. It gets so annoying and I feel like I need to scratch until my legs fall off!

What's up with this? Has anybody else had this problem?

Replies

• CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get this! A sort of burning, scratchy feeling all over my thighs. Always assumed it was something to do with circulation, but will be really interested to hear any answers people might have!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Could it be your running shorts rubbing against the skin? Maybe you're both allergic to the material?
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me and it makes me want to scream !!!! Running is uncomfortable enough without the itchiness haha
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    That happened to me when I switched from creme to aerosol sunscreen. I also have a friend that has to rub iodine on her legs after she shaves or the same thing happens to her.
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    It's below where my shorts touch my legs, so it can't be that. I've never experienced this before, it's just started recently and it's making me crazy!

I agree, running is difficult enough as it is! :P I can't figure out how to prevent it...
  • erieli04
    erieli04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this too and was told that the itchiness/tingling feeling is from increased circulation in the legs. It usually subsides after awhile but definitely is uncomfortable!
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have that problem with any exercise. I have been doing that for years, since I was a little girl. I would just sit and cry. It feels like the winter itch. I am been to many doctors and nothing! The only thing that helped was benadryl, but I just want to sleep right after. I finaaly found a doctor (who is now my primary care physician) and when i told him my symptoms he immediately said "yuo are allergic to exercise!" I thought he was kidding, til he showed me proof. The condition is called Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis"
    You cant stop the itch, you scratch til you have sores. You cant seem to walk back home. It is horrible. My doctor prescribed me with Fexfenodine. I take one a day and I have no problems. When I do not take it for a few days and exercise I pay for it!
  • lisamartinez
    Options
    This only happened to me when I was in the Army (basic training). We ran every day, in the dry cold. Is it dry where you run? What material of clothing do you run in? If it's from chaffing, like in my case, change the material of shorts or under garments you are wearing, add baby powder between the thighs to increase lubrication. Also, use some intense conditioning lotion.
  • jesslarocque
    Options
    I get this too, but only when I walk fast/run outside. I can be inside on the bike or elliptical and it doesn't happen. I do think it has to be related to circulation, it is on my list of things to ask my family doctor at my next appointment ;)
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    You may want to look into cholinergic urticaria (hives) that is a skin rash brought on by a hypersensitive reaction to body heat.

The recommendation is to take an anti-allergy drug such as Benadryl. They say that cholinergic urticaria may be a sign of more serious problem called exercise-induced anaphylaxis, so it may be worth talking to your doctor about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholinergic_urticaria

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011015/1367.html
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i used to get this but only when i ran on the treadmill the ammount of times i almost fell off because i'd bent down to scratch. i'd forgotten that used to happen will have to bear that in mind when i rejoin the gym next week
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    I thought it could have something to do with the weather too, but it's rather humid here, so maybe not?

Allergic to exercise? Eek! I hope mine does subside like most of you said...
    If it doesn't, I'll try taking allergy medicine and seeing my doctor.

Thanks guys!
    Can always count on MFP'ers to have the answer :)
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to think it's the feeling of fat melting!

I know it's not - it just keeps me going when I'm running :blushing:
  • getupandmoveit
    Options
    I like to think it's the feeling of fat melting!

I know it's not - it just keeps me going when I'm running :blushing:

hahah I love this!
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fat melting!? I like that! LOL!