Too hot to work out

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike to Magnuson Park and swim, or I go hiking in the mountains and roll around in the snow.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Thanks you guys for the motivation. No excuses! Time to pull out the room fan and get my Insanity on.

make sure you don't overwork yourself. I got a heat stroke at 95 degrees while working out last summer. It was the most horrible sensation I've ever had. I thought I was dying... for like 9 hours constantly.
    Go more slowly, easy, drink water, monitor your pulse.
  • hrush1889
    hrush1889 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion other than working out inside would be walking outside. I like to go for walks around when the sun is setting from 8-9 or so, its less hot and if you walk you wont get too hot/tired. Just bring water!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm in northern Oregon, so I'm a total pansy in the heat. However, when it does heat up (and it does for a bit each summer), I get out early. We're lucky here-the night temps cool things off nicely. My only other suggestion is to swim :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike to Magnuson Park and swim, or I go hiking in the mountains and roll around in the snow.

I'm a mountain girl in northern CA and its weird weather this year, more hot than we are used to.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Thanks you guys for the motivation. No excuses! Time to pull out the room fan and get my Insanity on.

make sure you don't overwork yourself. I got a heat stroke at 95 degrees while working out last summer. It was the most horrible sensation I've ever had. I thought I was dying... for like 9 hours constantly.
    Go more slowly, easy, drink water, monitor your pulse.

I aimed a fan at myself and did my Insanity Max30. I modified and survived. I want to go to sleep now though lol
  • sapphiradiamond
    sapphiradiamond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't. I live in Florida and this heat is killing me as well. I use to walk the track daily but since it's so hot I do Just Dance on my kids' WiU or I pay close attention to my calorie intake.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm not a heat person, and these Midwest heat waves are brutal every year, even early in the morning. The humidity is enough to take your breath away some days. I tend to be weary of working out outside when it gets really hot especially, because I had to spend 3 hours at the ER a few years ago due to dehydration. On days like that, I stay indoors and do walking videos, dance, or see what's going on at the gym. I'll probably venture outside again around October or so, heh.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Isn't more sweat better?
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    On stronglift days, I go as early in the day as I can. They have fans going and it's not bad.
    On Krav days, hot building, one fan, instructors still want full effort, just deal with it. I might get an extra water break.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I walk the dogs early morning, every morning before it gets too hot. Three times a week, I work out in an air conditioned gym. Also, I have found some great exercise videos free on YouTube that I can do at home. You just have to try different ones out and find ones you like.

Two other hints I use for motorcycling that would work for exercise also: 1) Get a Camelback water carrier. It fits on your back like a little backpack and it has a tube that clips in the shoulder strap you can drink through. In the summer, I fill mine with crushed ice and then water. It does two things: The ice water keeps your back nice and cool, which cools your whole body, and you can get a drink of ice water without stopping.

2) There are these neckerchiefs and neck coverings you can buy at sporting goods and hardware stores now. You soak them in water and then when you wear them, evaporation cools the blood supply going to your head.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I wake up still feeling beat from the heat the day before I skip the work out.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I get out early before it starts to heat up.

5a.m. (and it's still 85+)
    Sports drinks & a trick my cousin taught me - I wet a hand towel & put ice in it & keeping it on my neck - it really helps!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Twice a week (when my daughter in law goes to the gym) I go to the mall and push my grandchild around the mall. I can get in 3 miles.

Tip...go before the stores open so you don't spend any money:).
  • SCoil123
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Isn't more sweat better?

Sweat doesn't bother me. I do Insanity and trust me it makes you sweat. The heat makes me tired and nauseous though. I have a hard time doing anything when it gets above 85.

I just needed to hear how others handle it. I did it. I'm glad I did it.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's consistently 110+ for a few months every summer where I live, I totally understand where you're coming from. A lot of people have suggested getting up early, which isn't a bad idea unless you're like me and I now there's no way in hell you're getting up before the sun. I love to jog for my work out, just go at midnight during the summer, because it's way easier for me to be up late, than up early
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I work out inside the gym so there is no problem there as it's air conditioned.

I stay in during the day, but at night I go for a walk to get my steps in. It feels fine once the sun is down.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My city has a wooded rivine area , I take long relaxing walks down there when it gets too hot.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    It's consistently 110+ for a few months every summer where I live, I totally understand where you're coming from. A lot of people have suggested getting up early, which isn't a bad idea unless you're like me and I now there's no way in hell you're getting up before the sun. I love to jog for my work out, just go at midnight during the summer, because it's way easier for me to be up late, than up early

well I couldnt do that here, there arent many street lights(once out of town limits where I live) and you have to watch out a deer,bear or some other wild animal doesnt jump out at you or scare you to death lol. no place to jog unless its in the road,only sidewalks are in town. I dont blame you I hate getting up early too
  • Misstake131313
    Misstake131313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in Arizona and I just go early, lots of water & sound cancelling earbuds with an awesome playlist. I went for a total of 7.8 miles today in 2 walks. It was a mental barrier for me at first but I did it and now I can't stop lol