somebody must know what I mean...

Options
ok, I've started cooking and eating healthy (yay me), I have started doing smaller portions.
However what got me here I think is going to put me back. Basically, food tastes soooooo good that even though I'm full and know I should stop something in me says but it tastes so amazing I can't stop. I have used smaller plates and smaller servings.
Take today for example. 2 slices of hovis wheatgerm (56 cals each), spinach, and crab with some Philadelphia light. After much wrestling with my conscience I left a piece of bread but honestly I just wanted to eat it all even though I was full. Now I know a lot of people are perfectly able to leave food but surely there are some people out there on this site that know what I mean. What do I do, cook less appetising meals? Help?!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try wrapping what's left in a napkin and throw it in the trash.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Cooking less appetizing meals will probably not satisfy you and will make you want to rebel against your diet. Maybe you can start making yourself think through what extra exercise you will need to do to make up for the extra calories you wil need burn if you eat that food and use that as a way to think through whether it is worth it or not. One thing that has worked for me in the past too is giving myself 1 meal a week that I can eat as much as I want of whatever I want without worrying about the calories (over time I made much better choices for this meal, but it gave me the chance to let myself go without guilt)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i am EXACTLY the same!! iv started to cook smaller quantities and i dont deprive myself. ill serve myself a portion and if im still hungry after 15-20 mins ill have a bit more.

make sure you drink lots of water before and after your meal, that should fill you up. orrr even better, put the remaining food away. in the fridge or freezer, hide it from sight. brush your teeth and make yourself a hot herbal drink. by the time youve done all that you would have forgotten about eating it.

dont get me wrong, i have failed a few times but now i have trained myself that my eyes shouldnt be bigger than my belly.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    If you have food left over and feel full try and resist for 30 mins as you be less likely to actual want or need it
  • jesscsock
    jesscsock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree, if I find myself wanting to eat the rest of a meal when i'm full and picking at it, I throw it in the bin... I'm not going to eat it out of there!!
    I do purposely cook non appetizing meals sometimes actually too :blushing:
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    HANG IN THERE!! It is hard, but you MUST make the choice to stop eating when you are full, or when you know you've had enough. Yes, food is delicious, but it will pack it on. The good thing is that if you exercise more, you can eat more. I love days where I exercise a lot, do yard work, or whatever and burn a lot of calories, so that I can eat lots of delicious food. it encourages you to exercise more, which is good for you. Again, hang in there! :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If I feel like that, I shove about 3 pieces of gum in my mouth and chew hard, and walk away from the food!:wink:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If it's something that will taste good cold, I tend to immediately wrap up the leftovers and put it in the fridge before I even start to eat. You know about how much you'll be able to eat before you get full, so just put the rest of it away. Then you can enjoy it again tomorrow! :)
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I struggle with this daily!! If there is food out I tend to pick at it or eat it. I have had to ask my family to help. After meals if were done its put away ASAP. I have asked my coworkers to do the same, they now put it in the break room. Now its up to me to stop myself. Its very hard and sometimes I dont realize I am eating until its too late. Now that you have admitted and know your doing it or feel this way you can confront why you do it. For me I am an emotional eater. Any emotion I have I want to eat. It will take time but I know you can do it.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! But the way I see it is that its better to fill yourself up on something healthy than to not eat as much and be left wanting something more as you are more likely to reach for the bad things. If you are in your calorie range then you are doing great! Just dont go over your kcals!! :flowerforyou:
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    It's "Human Nature" to want to keep eating. I fight the urge every day! But it takes longer for your brain to register that you are full than it does your stomach... so if you keep eating, you get that "OMG I am so stuffed" feeling. You have to eat to get you metabolism going and as long as you are within your calories, you should be ok. I wouldn't cook something you don't want to eat, because, if you're like me, that'll just make you toss it out & head to McDonald's. :laugh: What I would do is try to leave a bite or two on your plate each time, or only put 1 serving spoon on your plate in the beginning... and once you're done, you're done. Eventually your body will catch on & it'll be easier.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm like that as well. My portions are normally small but sometimes...just sometimes the food is just so tasty...that last bite I just have to have it. I wish I could tell you what to do. I have no answers as of yet.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I feel full (I guess) but I feel like I could still eat everything in the house like bags of chips or loaves of bread or even tubs of ice cream. I don't know why I'm like that but I feel like it takes serious will power to stop myself from doing just. I guess I just love to eat? Oh and it's like once I start eating, I have trouble stopping.
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've found it really helpful to eat every meal every day. I know what you mean about wanting it just to want it, but now that I've gotten used to feeding myself regularly throughout the day, the thought of over-indulging actually makes me a little nauseous. It might not be possible with your family/work/life situation, but another thing I do is only prepare as much food as I'm going to eat for that meal.
  • granniejane
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I was raised poor, and have a REALLY hard time letting food go to waste, and b/c of not having much food or a variety of foods growing up I LOVE food and lots of it...lol But that got me to 270 lbs. I lost 120 lbs, of which I have gained about 40 lbs back..(I have lost 27 lbs of that since Jan) All I can say is I feel your pain...you just have to decide what you want worse,..the food & be unhealthy or do without & be healthy!
    One idea, make LESS food, or divide it up and put a portion in the frig for the next day, before you start eating.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to be terrible for that, all because I hate things going to waste.

I used to clear my own plate and then any leftovers my hubby had too :embarassed:

So now as soon as I am full, any leftovers go straight into the bin, my hubby does the same too so I am not tempted :smile:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It comes down to sheer will power to say no. Last night, I went out for sushi on date night. I could have 'easily' eaten another two full rolls (I LOVE sushi....), but knew I shouldn't/couldn't.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water before an during your meal. May help give you that "full" feeling.

EAt slowly too as it takes time for your body to realise that you are full, I think I read somewhere up to 20 mins
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I definitely have that problem! I always say that loving my own cooking is both a blessing and a curse. Some days the food is just too good to stop when I'm full. I try to make sure it doesn't happen too often and work in a little extra exercise if I really overdo it. Also, thinking about the leftovers I'll have for lunch tomorrow if I don't eat it now helps a lot!
  • KwilsonStPeteFL
    KwilsonStPeteFL Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My aunt (who is super slim) told me she brushes her teeth right after dinner and that makes her stop eating. It's worked for me.