Phentermine 37.5 anybody?

Options
Has anyone had any dealings with the obesity drug adipex.. Curious about the pros and cons from others... Was giving the Rx by my doctor along with a multivitamin and sugar craving blocking pill.. Usually im under my calorie goal however im not seeing much lost.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here is my experience..

Averaged 2-3 hours sleep per night if i was lucky.
    Extreme constipation
    Complete personality change, eg depression, crying at the drop of a hat,argumentative,moody etc etc
    Lack of concentration, driving a car was a struggle.

I can't think of any positive effects, i can't even remember if i lost weight in that time as it is all a blur in my head!
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ^ see, everybody and every body is different and has different effects to it
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I added phentermine at the beginning of this month. It has helped me tremendously in terms of appetite control, weight loss, and mentally adjusting my thinking. The only side effect I've had is dry mouth but I drink so much water I tend not to notice it. I do not have the zero desire to eat that others have said they have. However, it has really allowed me to practice stopping and thinking before I eat, analyzing my hunger, etc. The lesser appetite really helps me stay within my calorie range while I'm working on all the other factors that go with weight loss. I'm also working on cognitive therapy to help me maintain once I go off of it. So I'm doing a lot of things along with the phentermine to make sure I'm successful in the long run with maintaining my losses.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Mmm yeah that's false.
    I used it (half pill) for only a week after my first binge 30 days into losing weight and I've not had any issues since that binge 7+ weeks ago. Zero side effects for me. Definitely curbed my cravings because I was ready to go back to eating bad and giving up even though I had already lost 25+ pounds. Stopped taking it after a week of use and everything is going well. I almost wish I used it the first 2 weeks of my new life style as I was miserable to the point of tears every waking moment with severe food cravings and extreme hunger.

It's an aide, not a solution and it isn't for long term use.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I wonder why some people get zero side effects and yet i got the whole whole gamut of them!

OP there's a forum completely dedicated to duramine (phentermine) users, is has loads of info.

https://duromineforum.com/
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for a few months a few years back.
    1. I lost 40 lbs fairly easily.
    2. I gained 60 back fairly quickly after I stopped.
    3. I made my resting heart rate about 120.
    4. The dry mouth was awful.
    5. My gallbladder suddenly ruptured. I had no history of gallbladder disease and was 26 years old, two days after my wedding. Spend over a week in the hospital. The surgeon said it was linked to using phentermine. I don't know how true that statement is but he said it causes issues with the gallbladder and pancreas.
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I took 37.5 phentermines for 3 months. I lost 40lbs. I started having terrible mood swings and decided that I'd like to stay married so I stopped taking them. I've since lost another 41lbs. I used it to jump start my loss and took the time while on it to teach myself the correct way to eat. Does it happen this way often? Not from what I've read. Most will lose alot. They then gain it all back when they stop. It isn't a miracle pill. There are risks associated with taking it. Personally, I was 418lbs and looking at a heart attack in my near future without intervention so I decided that the benefits outweighed the risks.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine a few years ago. I lost weight; about 14 lbs a month. I just felt awful though. I was edgy, couldn't sleep and extremely stressed out. I stuck with it hoping the side effects would stop but they never did. Best to ween off if you decide to try them but don't like the way they make you feel. You will feel very tired and moody when you stop and crave carbs like crazy.
    Good luck either way.
  • One_life_2_live
    One_life_2_live Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work with a Dr that runs a weight loss program and she prescribes it. I have used it also. You can't use it for more than 3 months at a time because your body will build up a tolerance. I think it's good to use as a jump start because you literally won't crave anything. Once you stop eating all the bad stuff you won't crave it. But you also have to learn how to eat for your body. Even though u aren't eating as much, what are you eating? How much water are you drinking. If you total 1200 calories a day but all of your calories came from pasta, bread and sugary drinks, then you probably won't lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I work with a Dr that runs a weight loss program and she prescribes it. I have used it also. You can't use it for more than 3 months at a time because your body will build up a tolerance. I think it's good to use as a jump start because you literally won't crave anything. Once you stop eating all the bad stuff you won't crave it. But you also have to learn how to eat for your body. Even though u aren't eating as much, what are you eating? How much water are you drinking. If you total 1200 calories a day but all of your calories came from pasta, bread and sugary drinks, then you probably won't lose weight.

@CutieMamaRN As to the bolded, are you 100% positive about this?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    Mmm yeah that's false.
    I used it (half pill) for only a week after my first binge 30 days into losing weight and I've not had any issues since that binge 7+ weeks ago. Zero side effects for me. Definitely curbed my cravings because I was ready to go back to eating bad and giving up even though I had already lost 25+ pounds. Stopped taking it after a week of use and everything is going well. I almost wish I used it the first 2 weeks of my new life style as I was miserable to the point of tears every waking moment with severe food cravings and extreme hunger.

It's an aide, not a solution and it isn't for long term use.

A calorie deficit is the only thing required to lose weight.

The drug will work only if you eat at a calorie deficit, and if you eat at maintenance or at a surplus, the drug will not work at all.

The reason you've been successful at your weight loss after choosing not to take the pill any more is because you created a calorie deficit.

Just because you tried it out without zero side effects, and you have been successfully losing weight without it, does not mean your experience applies to everyone else. However, a calorie deficit leading to weight loss is science, just as a surplus of calories leads to weight gain.

Aides are not necessary to weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If one CAN'T control their appetite on their own, then they'll need this drug their whole life. The drug doesn't TEACH you how to control it yourself. That's more a habitual behavior you learn on your own.
    Lots of people curse out of habit. Can one learn how to not curse if they apply themselves? Of course, it's just learning how to habitually do it.

I happen to agree with this.
  • rodzlyn1218
    rodzlyn1218 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I dont eat mainly anything because i crave nothing. Applesauce slimfast and maybe a salad or soup most drink about 64oz of water a day sometimes more.