Binged SO bad today

Options
Well, I have days usually where I will say f it and eat things I enjoy and usually go a few hundred calories over my goal - but I brush them off. Today however I lost track of all the crap I put into my mouth I was just ravenously hungry and I just enjoy food...lol. I probably ate like 2500-3000 calories over the course of the day and didn't really exercise today, aside from some hula hooping. I'm wondering if I should just pass on eating tomorrow or have one very light meal to make up for my incompetence today or what...Lol. I'm 5'2 and around 124-125lbs normally (ofc after this I'll probably not weigh myself for a few days to let that even out).... Again, I normally don't get these binge episodes anymore I'm not sure what my deal is. I'm usually pretty good about avoiding them. But basically I'm just wondering - does anyone have any input on what I should do tomorrow food wise? If I should avoid it, etc. Thanks.

Replies

• Vampireneko
    Vampireneko Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Attempting to make up for a binge can lead to a binge/starve cycle. Tomorrow get a great workout in with the extra fuel you got today and just eat normally.

Okay thank you! Yeah that makes sense. Much appreciated.
  • Bianica12691
    Bianica12691 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse. Starving yourself or going nuts on the treadmill will really only hurt. As long as 1 bad day doesn't become everyday, you're golden. :smiley:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Attempting to make up for a binge can lead to a binge/starve cycle. Tomorrow get a great workout in with the extra fuel you got today and just eat normally.

Okay thank you! Yeah that makes sense. Much appreciated.

If you do any form of lifting/resistance training you should have an awesome workout tomorrow and maybe even the next day. I got over binge eating by not beating myself up and telling myself I was fueling muscle growth.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,923 Member
    Options
    Given your age, height and a reasonable degree of activity, your maintenance calories are between 2000 and 2400 calories.

So you went over your maintenance calories by anywhere from 100 to 1000 Cal. In other words an effect of 0 to 0.3lbs (once your weight settles down after a few days).

You are within the normal weight range. Even using the sbmi calculator you are at the top end of the ideal range of 30-40 points.

To me this means that any weight changes you engage in should be very gradual. In fact it might be debatable whether weight and food should be your primary focus as opposed to your workouts.

How big is the deficit you are aiming for? Have you reduced your target deficit as you've been losing weight and as you're approaching your goal weight?
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day! Just go back on the diet and eat how you are supposed to.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Return to your regular way of eating. Eating bad for one day won't hurt you the same way eating good for one day won't help you, it's what you do consistently that counts. Give it another once over of why you over ate then make peace with it ..then move on. Forgetting about it and returning to your norm is the best thing you can do for yourself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

100% this. You overate today, so you under eat tomorrow, then the next day you'll be so hungry that you may over eat again, and so the cycle begins...
    I've had days here and there that have been higher than I'd like, but i just eat normally the next day and maybe do a bit of extra exercise and move on. The odd overage day (not regularly) isn't going to make a difference in the bigger picture.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Girl I have those days too where I start eating without counting calories and by the end of the day I've totally binged 2500+ calories and am totally disgusted with myself lol. What I do is make up for it the next couple days by eating under my limit. You just have to have self control to not let it happen too often because otherwise you could develop anorexia/binge eating disorder. Usually I'm really good with my diet during the week and I'll let myself go on Sundays when I'm with family. So far it's working well for me long term!
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you did it and you really usually don't, then you probably needed something you have been missing nutrients wise, or you don't allow yourself enough cheat meals or days. I wouldn't let it phase me. Sleep well and start another day! Besides, it doesn't have the same effect on the body as eating that way everyday so you should be okay. If anything, you might see a spike in your metabolism. Just don't make this a frequent thing and you'll be fine.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i did this yesterday too...ugh! i'm back on the horse today and am going to rock it at the gym tonight. rome wasn't built in a day, or so i'm told ;)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I ate over 3000 calories, but with my workouts and everything I was only over my TDEE by 1,000 calories. No biggie I guess, I'm back to eating normally and I'm not weighing myself for the next couple of days.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has those days, we are only human and some days are hungry days and sometimes our willpower fails us. Believe me, I have been obsessively strict with myself, my exercise and nutrition for more than 3 years. Has it paid off? hell yes! Have there been times where I say "screw it", throw caution to the wind and split an entire chocolate cake with my husband? Hell yes! Have I gained weight/fat as a result of that? Nope... Just wake up and get back on track... do your normal activities, eat your normal healthy foods... Sometimes a good old fashioned binge is just the thing to shock your body into maximum weight loss and efficiency! As long as it's not a habit or part of an ED, you'll be fine. Also, look at your calories over the course of a week rather than the course of a day. I bet that at the end of 7 days it'll just be a wash :smile:
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It happens . Just carry on as normal
    1 binge won't do harm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh 3000 calories is really not a huge deal. Just go back to your regular deficit for a couple days and you'll have made up for it.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Been there and have done that :-( it's hard I know too to jump into the workout mode after binge because of the physical discomfort tied to the increased intake. Don't beat yourself up because it all in the end won't make a huge overall difference by any means.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    When I have a huge binge day these are the things I do:

-drink extra water for the next few days (to flush the sodium from the binge), usually just an extra two glasses or so

-decrease calories by 100-200 per day for the next few days, nothing drastic, but a small decrease to add up over a few days

-not beat myself up-were human, things happen, learn from it and move on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eating 2,500-3,000 "over the course of the day" is NOT a binge. Just throwing that out there.

It probably would be for someone who usually eats, say, under 1500 calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Eating 2,500-3,000 "over the course of the day" is NOT a binge. Just throwing that out there.

It probably would be for someone who usually eats, say, under 1500 calories.

Nope, still not a binge.