What were some of your favorites as a beginner?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been hooking on the idea of losing weight since I was about 10 (I'm now 22). I definitely have the nutrition knowledge but totally lack in the fitness arena. I was to start lifting but don't really know where to start. Being overweight, lifting weight can be even more intimidating.

What were some of you favorite workouts when you were starting out? Lifting, cardio... And which did you find most effective?

Replies

• jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was finding an activity that I loved. I discovered martial arts, and it was all I wanted to do all the time. So I recommend maybe alongside the gym, find a sport of some sort that you enjoy. It honestly changed my life.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started out with some jump rope (Dunno if I'll recommend that) but if you feel you can handle it, go for it. Shortly after I found a reputable training routine online (Scooby workouts) and just got stuck in. It was a split workout covering all body parts. Finding a decent routine online is pretty straightforward. *As I've become advanced I train full body 3 times a week. I prefer that. Good luck.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I started strength training from day 1 and still loving it on day 630. Tried cardio a couple of months in the beginning, and it actually made me hate my life so I stopped and never looked back.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with a trainer. I was learning form on the compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, over head press) and followed what she gave me. I used plate loaded machines for isolation work. Eventually I moved on and ended up learning more about programming that my trainer knew. It was a great start though.