Breakfast Cereal

Options
I eat cereal for breakfast most days during the week. I like oatmeal when I have time to prep, but I'm looking for some new healthy cold cereals to try. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a vicious sweet tooth so I find a happy medium with frosted shredded mini-wheats.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from granolas. They're marketed as a health food and often a "serving" is lower calories. They just forget to point out that a serving is 1/4 cup.

Personally I eat the kids sugary cereals. Many of them are lower calorie for lots of volume. They satisfy my sweet tooth and many are fortified with vitamins.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I do not eat cold/boxed cereals but I thought since you enjoy oatmeal maybe just make over night oats. You can make up an entire week when you do have time.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-steel-cut-oatmeal-in-jars-one-week-of-breakfast-in-5-minutes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-143623
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What do you like?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Personally I eat the kids sugary cereals

Me too. The macros and calories are all about the same for every kind of cereal - from the kiddie stuff to the high-end stuff marketed at crunchy yuppies.

1. measure out the serving (1 cup), don't just dump half a box into your bowl
    2. add vanilla protein powder and gelatin which dramatically improves the macros

Some cereal is compatible with protein powder and some isn't. Chocolate-oriented cereals don't work at all. Cheerios, Captain Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, and Lucky Charms are all fantastic with it.

(I've tried chocolate powder with choc. cereal and the flavors don't mix well, avoid.)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Cheerios or special k protein with unsweetened soymilk
  • GoodLife4Karen
    GoodLife4Karen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    59 years of cereal for breakfast until the last 3 months. Thought it would be a hard habit to break, but it's working for me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^ I don't think OP was asking about cereal alternatives, just cold cereals. I don't think OP wants to go low carb if they're asking about cold cereals....
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I would stay away from granolas. They're marketed as a health food and often a "serving" is lower calories. They just forget to point out that a serving is 1/4 cup.

Personally I eat the kids sugary cereals. Many of them are lower calorie for lots of volume. They satisfy my sweet tooth and many are fortified with vitamins.

Agree! I'm still in my cinnamon toast crunch phase! I love that stuff! I personally have cereal with a protein smoothie on the side.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    as above if i want cereal i eat sugary kids cereal.. cinnamon toast crunch ftw.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat breakfast in the morning if you do not have time to prep.
    Eat cereal later in the day if you choose.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like mini wheats, only ingredients are wheat and water. Yeah, oatmeal isn't packing any pleasure for me these hot mornings, whereas the miniwheats with cold milk and some bluberries are awesome nice!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Quick it's take two mins in microwave. I have with banana or apple
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    oats not its
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I definitely need breakfast every day. I was deprived of fun sugar cereal as a child so I do treat myself now sometimes. I like cereals higher on the fiber side because I don't feel hungry as quick. I enjoy Quaker Oat Squares, Raisin Nut Bran, Golden Grahams. I will definitely try the weekly oatmeal prep suggested above.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like the regular Kashi Go Lean. Little bit sweet but not to much and a serving is pretty good size at 58g. Though i usually just eat what i want and ignore "suggested" serving size. As long as i weigh and log what i ate i dont care what they think i should. Lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like Krave because for a sugary cereal it has a pretty decent volume/calorie count. No way I'm eating cereal for breakfast though. I'll eat it before I bench press or dead lift.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like to add a small amount of sweet kids cereal (like Cocoa Pebbles) to my All Bran:)
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love kids cereal too and it's often fortified :) I use all bran a lot too