No idea how many calories this will burn...

Options
Later today I will be helping unload a shipment of hay. It consists of lifting, moving, and stacking 40-50 lb bales of hay for 45 mins to an hour. Any farm people out there tried to log this before as excercise? Or do any excercise gurus have an idea of how many calories this would burn? Thanks!!

Replies

• Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It will burn a lot of calories. Not sure how many but putting up hay is a great workout.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    If you have a HRM, wear that so you can know the exact numbers! It sounds like it'll be a grueling day with a big calorie burn!
  • KatherineVictoria
    Options
    There is a way to log "moving boxes" so maybe try that!
  • Mariah836
    Mariah836 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM :/ Do you know how much they cost/where a good place to buy one would be?
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I did this just last saturday and logged it as "moving boxes up stairs" you can find it in the search under "moving"
  • Mariah836
    Options
    I did this just last saturday and logged it as "moving boxes up stairs" you can find it in the search under "moving"

Thanks!
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They vary in cost. I have a Polar FT4 it was 89.00 at Sears. I love it. Turns out I am burning more calories than I thought I was when I was working out. There are others out there for cheaper, I went with this one on the advice of my Wellness coach. :) Hope that helps!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I don't have a HRM :/ Do you know how much they cost/where a good place to buy one would be?

Anything by Polar is pretty good. You can get them for less than $100 usually. I bought mine on amazon, but you can definitely find them at places like walmart, target, or any sports store. make sure you get one with a chest strap, because they're the most accurate.
  • Mariah836
    Options
    There are others out there for cheaper, I went with this one on the advice of my Wellness coach. :) Hope that helps!

What would be the disadvantages of buying a cheaper one?
  • bdfarms
    bdfarms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I bale and load hay frequently during the summer months. I would think the calories burned would be close to the same as a good zumba or aerobic work out. I know when I bale and load hay I sweat buckets and my heart rate elevates. Good luck and drink plenty of water, dehydration in the hay field is not fun.
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I do not know much about the HRMs that are out there. My wellness coach suggested polar, and based on the limited research I did I chose the one that I got because it was mid priced, and had the features I wanted.