Lactose Intolerant Blues......

Options
Need some advice or counsel...what do folks do that are lactose intolerant...no dairy at all in the diet...how do you get calcium? :cry:

Replies

• Heavyyeti
    Options
    Need some advice or counsel...what do folks do that are lactose intolerant...no dairy at all in the diet...how do you get calcium? :cry:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I was lactose intolerant for awhile and some times I still have a problem with it. Your best bet is to take calcium supplements. There's some that are chews that taste pretty good. Also eat veggies that calcium in them, like broccoli for one. I don't know a lot about what foods have calcium, but look for things like orange juice that has calcium added. Definitely get the supplements. Have you always been lactose intolerant? Stress did it for me. I couldn't have any dairy at all without getting sick. Then I got pregnant and since then I have been able to have some...I don't know why that made a difference but I'm glad it did! When we moved recently I started having problems again due to the stress.
    Anyway, I hope I've been of some help to you! Maybe it just helps to know that someone else out there has the same problem.
    Melissa
  • avr1321
    Options
    i just take calcium supplements.
    its really nice, there are little chewy pills that actually taste good! and i drink soymilk, at least one glass a day. that gives good calcium.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Think dark and green for veggies with calcium: Kale, collard greens. Some fish have it too. You can go here if you would prefer to get calcium from food:

http://www.indiadiets.com/foods/food_nutrients/Minerals/Calcium.htm
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the website. I too suffer from lactose intolerance. It's terrible. I miss that big glass of ice cold milk on a hot day with my PB&J...

Angela :flowerforyou:
  • Heavyyeti
    Options
    Thanks much...being new to the site...this info was quite helpful...
  • Heavyyeti
    Options
    It does help to know others also suffer...i really miss ice cream and cheese....;)....anyway...glad you can eat dairy again....i dont think getting pregnant is real practical for me.....especially since i am a man...thanks those for the thoughts....
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have been allergic to all milks since I was a baby. However I was lucky to grow out of it for a short while. I am able to tolerate cheese and ice cream and some yogurts. One thing I have found is that I tolerate the organic much better than the other milks available. Secondly you can find alternates like rice milk, almond milk or even soy milk. I personally try to stay away from the soy milk because of my thyroid. Supplements and vegies are wonderful. If you can tolerate some dairy foods I would say use those when you can. Otherwise check out the alternatives.

Good luck:bigsmile:
  • elsgans
    Options
    I drink lactose free skim milk. Love it. Takes a glass or 2 to get use to, but it is good.