What should I be logging?

Options
Ok guys I need your input!!! I weigh every morning around the same time (after using the bathroom : ) The thing is, I wake up thirsty and lets say my initial weight that morning was 136.2, after I have drank one glass of water I weigh 137.8. Which weight should I be logging??? because I feel like I'm cheating in a way if I log the initial weight because that isnt what I weigh but for the first 10 minutes of my day lol????? HELP!
(Oh and by the way, Im not stressing about "daily fluctuations" and it seems weighing daily works for me and my motivation)

Replies

• bjalter
    bjalter Posts: 43
    Options
    It doesn't matter, as long as your are consistent...
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've heard that your morning weight is your 'true' weight. It's what I log when I weigh myself.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I wake up, pee, take off my clothes, and hop on the scale. Every morning. :) I don't care if I weigh 10 pounds more 10 seconds later -- that first weight is my official weight for the day!
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale atleast three times before I log it. If it stays the same, it's logged. If it moves, there goes another round of on and off for three, LOL. I weight periodically through the week and will log if it is a pound or so difference. If we are talking ounces then I don't. If I see a gain in the middle of the week, I don't log it, I wait the week out (My official day is Monday). If it is super hot and I know I am retaining water, the gain doesn't get logged. I know I haven't slipped on my journey so if there is a gain it's not becuase of what I am doing or not doing. I watch my sodium intake too. And if TOM is here or on his way.....I will log ounces lost because I know a bigger number is coming and I will take the ounces.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I wake up, pee, take off my clothes, and hop on the scale. Every morning. :) I don't care if I weigh 10 pounds more 10 seconds later -- that first weight is my official weight for the day!

Same here - Im log it in my food diary every day but only officially post on MFP once a week.

Sue :smile: x
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question if you consider it. You drank water, that is what is making you weight more unless you have weightless water where you are. As for me 8 ounces of water is about 8 ounces of weight. If you drank a big glass of water you then weight yourself you are weighting yourself and the weight of the water which is why weighing before you eat and drink and after you used the toilet is about as accurate as you will get for your accurate weight.
  • jkqe20
    jkqe20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! that really helps. One thing I didnt know was that you "gain on super hot days"??? lol its been in the triple digits here!
  • Jenalyn
    Jenalyn Posts: 17
    Options
    I tend to log my weight prior to any consumption of liquids or food.
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I weigh myself 3 times a week and track it on a spreadsheet, then weekly (on Friday) I check-in with MFP and log the average between the 3 days. I just started doing it this way but it seems to be working out pretty well so far.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning - right when I wake up but AFTER I go to the bathroom (I try to do number 2 as well... there is a weight difference, I swear! haha) and BEFORE I have any kind of drink or breakfast. And then I go about my morning.. randomly I'll weigh again just for kicks but I stick with that FIRST weigh in bc it changes even if with a glass of water!

I only log my weight on Friday though.. that is my "weigh-in" day. I know that my weight fluctuates everyday so my weight from sat-thurs is usually not taken too seriously. It does motivate me though to SEE it and know I need to work harder or I'm on the right track.