work out ideas and support

Options
cain120
cain120 Posts: 12 Member
Hello all, I am new to MFP and want to get off to a good start. My problem as far as exercise goes is that I live in a very small town where I do not have access to a gym. I am looking for advice or suggestions on workouts I can do at home. I do own an elliptical but I get bored very easy. I also know that running is a suggestion but I honestly do not like running and never stick with a running program. I play on a roller derby team so I put a lot of focus on endurance and leg strength but I need to work on my core as well. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    google body weight exercises
  • cain120
    Options
    such as? lol sorry I am not very well informed on exercises.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    0obuttono0 wrote: »
    such as? lol sorry I am not very well informed on exercises.

google 'body weight exercises'
  • cain120
    Options
    that works! thank you
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    On Instagram there is a Lazy Girls Guide account that post workout routines and challenges. You can usually google or youtube the exercise name if you're unsure of how to do it. Planks are great for your core. You can also just youtube or google "core strengthening exercises" for videos and articles.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How about body weight like "you are your own gym", "convict conditioning", "nerd fitness"

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am new to MFP and want to get off to a good start. My problem as far as exercise goes is that I live in a very small town where I do not have access to a gym. I am looking for advice or suggestions on workouts I can do at home. I do own an elliptical but I get bored very easy. I also know that running is a suggestion but I honestly do not like running and never stick with a running program. I play on a roller derby team so I put a lot of focus on endurance and leg strength but I need to work on my core as well. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

yoga, cardio and body lifting strength.....great lean tone! love it, has changed my life. i do hot vinyasa yoga everyday!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Buy a power rack, adjustable bench, a bar and some weights... that's all you really need IMO to get in amazing shape. You can order everything online too from Walmart even (they have a decent rack).
  • cain120
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Working out is very hard for me so I will look into all of these as I know I will need variety.
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ive got a fitness band from weightwatchers its just great, stretching
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    nerd fitness is great, as are the workout ideas from shape magazine and mens fitness. There are a few great apps out there that will guide you through workouts in different muscle groups (fitstar, runtastic six pack abs, sworkit, pear). As far as running goes, I used Zombies, Run! and I LOVED it. I do recommend shelling out for the subscription both so you can get the expansion stories and so that you can customize it. The TLDR on the app is that it will play over your music and interjects a story- you're a runner found lost in the woods after a zombie apocalypse. You have to run to save people, run to collect supplies, etc. Periodically zombies will chase you and the app uses your GPS to track your speed so you can "outrun" them (its FANTASTIC interval training). Each story is different. Some days you're doing 20-30 minutes of steady state to get to a destination, other days you're trying to save a baby from zombies and end up with 5-6 sprint intervals.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Lots of workouts here and you can use the filters to find ones that require no equipment or are a particular type:

http://darebee.com/workouts.html