Cereal - can I eat it again

Options
jbatinker
jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
Before I started this journey I ate cereal every morning for breakfast and loved it. When I started I cut this out, just do eggs mostly now, and no longer drink milk. (Yes I added yogurt to my diet). I admit I never measured my cereal before but my question is - what are the healthy cereals out there if any?

Thanks

Replies

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Fiber One Original through my entire weight loss process, coupled with Greek yogurt. I need the yogurt for the Original, as it's not the tastiest cereal, and I don't use milk on my cereal (I know, weird). I'm on 1200 calories a day, and 44 grams of Original gives me all my fiber for the day at 88 calories, no sugar.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Fiber One Original. That stuff keeps me full for hours. About 1/2 the daily fiber and NO sugar.
    A bit of caution with cereals: Weigh them. I bought Aldi Bran cereal and I think the serving was 3/4.
    When I weighed it the serving was actually only 1/2 cup.
    Food scale at walmart or target about $18. A scale makes this place rock !
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have to eat a high-protein breakfast cereal every morning. If not, one of two things will happen (neither of them good): I'll fall short of my daily protein goal, or I'll go over my daily calorie goal.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've had cereal throughout weight loss, normally all bran sometimes a tastier fortified option like a kids cereal, depends if I need iron or fibre more that week. I don't get enough protein though so am starting to add eggs and Greek yoghurt.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Have a look around your grocery store, check the nutritional info for what looks appetizing to you. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight...it's all in the portion sizes.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I love the Post great grains with nuts a banana and skim milk
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean (original) has lots of protein & fiber

Special K (original) has lots of protein. I typically pair that with a side of fruit for fiber.

I like eating dry cereal (on the side) with Greek yogurt. I just pick something low sugar - Multigrain Cheerios has a good amount of iron.

Steel cut oats made with milk (for protein) and a few chopped nuts (for fat). Raisins or diced apple for flavor.
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will start looking at it again.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Luck Charms are my favorite.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My current go to is Cheerios(I enjoy the plain ones). 1 cup of Cheerios and a 1/2 cup of 1% milk are only 155 cal:)
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like Cocoa Puffs and Frosted Mini-Wheats. Both have great iron content (25% and 90% RDA, respectively).

But I always measure with a food scale and rarely eat them for breakfast. They make much better evening snacks.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I tend to have two servings of Kellogg's Just Right cereal with a cup of whole milk [I have a vitamin D deficiency so I need the fats in milk]. It's only 500 calories, so a single serving would be around 250 calories.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    multigrain cheerios aren't bad for calories and such, and actually pretty tasty.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My current go-to is banana crisp Weetabix minis and I like plain Cheerios. I added half a scoop of protein powder to the milk before adding it to the cereal for extra protein. My current protein powder is vanilla flavored so it goes well with either cereal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the criteria is for a cereal to be "healthy" versus "unhealthy", but I like Cocoa Puffs sometimes, the Kashi version of mini wheats, Cheerios Ancient Grains, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Anything that works well covered in milk and mixed with bananas is a win for me!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Special K Protein (flakes).. I stopped eating cereal too in the beginning and then added it back later on, but I still have issues with this being one thing I eat that leads me so freaking hungry 1 hour after I eat it, I might as well not eat it.

So I add this cereal to a bigger meal like eggs, toast and bacon, etc.. Or I will crunch up about 15 grams of it in yogurt.

edited to say: in my personal opinion I really do not think any cereal in a box like this is deemed "healthy" it just tastes good!! :) I miss fruit loops and frosted flakes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal?

Honestly I stopped eating cereal. Nothing fills me up and I can't stand it with almond milk... so it's a lot of calories for something that won't fill me up!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my macros, I eat it, perceived healthiness or not.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I typically go for Post Raisin Bran if I need some fiber. Honey Nut Cheerios if I don't. I generally do cereal for dinner when it's late and I don't have time to cook...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I like Cocoa Puffs and Frosted Mini-Wheats. Both have great iron content (25% and 90% RDA, respectively).

But I always measure with a food scale and rarely eat them for breakfast. They make much better evening snacks.

I agree with cereal, in my case rolled oats with Greek yogurt and strawberries, as working better for me as an evening snack.

However, with iron counts this high the manufacturer has fortified the food with iron. Many forms of iron did nothing for my iron and/or energy levels, so I prefer getting iron from food that has it naturally and in a supplement, where I can chose what form of iron I'm getting and see how that affects my ferritin tests. I'm currently using Iron Bisglycinate.