Vigorous or Very Vigorous

Options
I'm trying to figure out how to record my spinning. My heart rate is usually between 75% and 85% for at least 30 minutes. Would this be considered "vigorous effort" or "very vigorous" or just "moderate"? Thank you!

Replies

• stupidusername123
    stupidusername123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

Good question, I'd like an answer to this too! Anyone?
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have to log it as moderate otherwise the calories are waaaaaay too high. I would sustain a heart rate of over 80% (up to 95%) for the entire class, and burn about 500-600/hour according to my HR monitor, similar for a similar effort on the road (I'm a cyclist). If I log it as anything higher than "moderate" the numbers are ridiculous...for me at least.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I recommend you use a heart rate monitor chest strap. that way you can get a more accurate idea of how many calories you're burning.

If you try and add it on MFP i'm afraid it will probably severely overestimate.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Due to the excessive overestimation of calories expended on here, I would record it as moderate-vigorous.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor would be your best guide to an answer
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    depends on if you flip over or not.

wait.
    that's not what we are talking about.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Here's what the CDC and WHO call vigorous. https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/measuring/heartrate.htm
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A power meter, watt bike, or trainer that can measure (or even "measure") power will give you the answer.
    Tambalina wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out how to record my spinning. My heart rate is usually between 75% and 85% for at least 30 minutes. Would this be considered "vigorous effort" or "very vigorous" or just "moderate"? Thank you!

Based on 220 minus your age?

What did you have your HRM connected to, and what did it say you burned? That will be far less accurate than something with power, but it's probably the best thing available.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    A power meter, watt bike, or trainer that can measure (or even "measure") power will give you the answer.

What did you have your HRM connected to, and what did it say you burned? That will be far less accurate than something with power, but it's probably the best thing available.

Yes. "220-age" is close to useless. I routinely work out at 100% of my "max heart rate" using that formula. My actual max heart rate is close to 210 bpm. I'm definitely not 10 years old.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    167 is considered my max heart rate using the 220-age. I wear a heart rate monitor and I typically do crossfit training and tempo runs. When I'm at 183 or so, I feel that I'm at 100% I'm sacking air like crazy, talking is not happening and muscles are burning, I know I can go higher but I'd be more prone to injury. So I'd say 167 is a good steady state "max" or considered "vigorous ". And anything above would be "very vigorous"

Remember the days before heart rate monitors, the charts that could be found in gyms? Like this one https://goo.gl/images/vn1LNg
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Yes. "220-age" is close to useless. I routinely work out at 100% of my "max heart rate" using that formula. My actual max heart rate is close to 210 bpm. I'm definitely not 10 years old.

What the heck are you doing to reach 210? I've never gone over 190, extreme snowboarding, rock climbing and crossfit and I haven't reached more then that, but that could be just size and age differences too . But yes I can work out at my 220-age max for an expanded period of time and still have gas in the tank.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is extremely personal. Depending on a person's size, stroke volume, hydration status, stress level, etc, one person will need a higher pulse rate than the other to do the same thing.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

What the heck are you doing to reach 210? I've never gone over 190, extreme snowboarding, rock climbing and crossfit and I haven't reached more then that, but that could be just size and age differences too . But yes I can work out at my 220-age max for an expanded period of time and still have gas in the tank.

I don't routinely exercise at 210! That's my max HR measured via stress test. I usually hit 170-180, which is about 220-my age. Sorry for the confusion.

True story - I was in the hospital a few years back and they were concerned that my HR was very high. They did a contrast enhanced CT and everything, and followed up with the stress test a few days later. I just have a high heart rate, and the added stress of recovering from surgery had my ticker pounding away. This was when I was much heavier and not very fit; my resting HR is a good bit lower now.