The cost of a healthy diet - its madness!!

Options

Replies

• crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthily and cheaply. I managed a healthy vegetarian diet for £8 a week earlier this year (just to see if I could). You may love cherries and blueberries but that's complaining about the price is like saying you want chocolate and going to Hotel Chocolat to get it!

Buy cheaper fruits and try growing strawberries/raspberries/blueberries next summer.

I do buy other fruits and they are cheaper than cherries, blueberries etc but to keep my diet varied I wanted to add some other fab superfoods too. I was simply drawing a comparison thats all. I don't have a garden so cannot grow my own.

When I was married it was never a bother to me but since I am on my own I have to be careful of money spent. I do cook meals from scratch for my son and I and he has special needs so I'm already very careful with what he eats.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes - it can be more expensive, and yes, if you don't watch out, you can end up doing what I did last month - spend all your food money early & end up w/no food for a couple of days (well, wasn't actually *no* food, but I was really getting tired of beans, beans, beans & brown rice... and there's only so much you can do w/that old cauliflower in the fridge, lol!!)

Can you find ways to save on other things you eat? I went out of my way - isn't long in distance, but I need to take public transportation as the car is not working right now.... so it took me all day... but I did it. Found out I can freeze fat free milk, eggs (can separate egg yolks & whites) in ice cube trays... going to look up the rest of the fat free dairy I bought to see if I can freeze it. Right now the freezer is packed with frozen veggies - not anything near as good as fresh, but it's now my back-up.

Finding farmer's markets are a good idea - here in the Boston area they can actually cost more at times, but they run deals for people on food stamps (need to post a topic about that to let people know). Are there any farms w/in driving distance to you? Maybe you can strike up a deal - I'm going to try to see if I can trade some work for fresh veggies - esp. where my garden being invaded by either a rabbit or groundhog & I realize I might end up losing this battle, lol.

You can see that I think outside the box, so to speak. Oh - check stores to see if they have veggies & fruits that are past their prime for discounts - esp. in the upcoming summer when things ripen faster. Certain places I've found have discounted produce that are as good or better than the regular priced produce in other stores.

In the end, even if you can't find ways to cut down costs - look at it this way: it's a very small price to pay for your health. You would have paid much, much more if you went to one of those expensive spas to lose weight, and it still wouldn't have taught you how to continue afterward as you are now doing!!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. I changed where I was shopping, which made it cheaper.. but I easily hit 450 a month! Insane---there's only one of me!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    It can be a lot, so I try to get as much as I can at the local supermercardo. They have most fruits and vegetables for cheap, like cantaloupe is 2 large for $3. Their meats are reasonable too. Unfortunately, if I can't find it there, I'm paying an arm and a leg for it somewhere else. Yesterday, I went shopping at the Farmer's Market and already spent $35 for what seemed like nothing.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do buy other fruits and they are cheaper than cherries, blueberries etc but to keep my diet varied I wanted to add some other fab superfoods too. I was simply drawing a comparison thats all. I don't have a garden so cannot grow my own.

When I was married it was never a bother to me but since I am on my own I have to be careful of money spent. I do cook meals from scratch for my son and I and he has special needs so I'm already very careful with what he eats.

Do you have windowbox space? Strawberries and raspberries grow well in those (or so goes the gospel according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall).

Funnily enough, I was reading the wiki page about superfoods today (after having edamame beans for lunch) and it does not sing the praises of the superfood umbrella. :S
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Flipin' heck, where are you buying your cherries M&S? - I got a small punnet at Asda for £1. It did about 3 servings.
    I find I'm spending more on fresh, but saving what I would spend on wine and convenience style foods.

Quorn's a good option, low fat and you can get 3 bags for £5 - each bag's enough for me to do a bolognese/lasagne etc for a family of 3.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    you need to buy whats IN SEASON at the market, different places have different season
    you need to shop the SALES
    i have 3 grocery stores on my way home, i check the sale ads online & stop by & get what that store has on sale
    someone almost always has a buy 1 get free bagged salad
    tomatoes, cukes are almost always cheaper this time of year
    watermelon, cantelope, honeydew are in season where i am so thats what i get
    if apples are whats in season thats what i get
    you have to be flexible
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    At first I found it was quite a bit more expensive to be more healthy, each trip to the grocery store was costing so much more. But then as I adjusted to eating less in general, found that healthy stuff goes further, and quit eating out so much, our food bills (combo of eating out and grocery bills) have decreased quite a bit. Fruit is expensive but it fills you more and goes further than the junk stuff like chips, snack cakes, etc. Our cupboard are way more bare now -- cleared out all the processed stuff taking up so much space -- and we go to the store and farmers market way more often to restock fresh stuff and overall its going great and we are saving money. Its gotten to the point now that I am like "why did we not do this way sooner? Its not that difficult once the lifestyle changes begin to set in."
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    morrisons have got cherries in at the moment £1 for 250g and there were no stalks on them!!!!! but i agree it can be more pricey i don't have a local green grocer in my town just the supermarket and everything there is pre packaged which drives me nuts knowing that there is a good chance that half the packet won't be eaten before it turns. thankfully i prefer vegies but fruit is easier for packet lunches i find. oh its so frustrating at times lol
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Flipin' heck, where are you buying your cherries M&S? - I got a small punnet at Asda for £1. It did about 3 servings.
    I find I'm spending more on fresh, but saving what I would spend on wine and convenience style foods.

Quorn's a good option, low fat and you can get 3 bags for £5 - each bag's enough for me to do a bolognese/lasagne etc for a family of 3.

Cherries have literally just come into season so for the next two weeks or so they should be a bit cheaper. Tesco have got punnets for 90p at the moment...they are very expensive the rest of the year mind.
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Asda do a price gaurentee if you type that into google add a few bits of info from your till slip if they are not 10% cheaper they give you the money back!

also agree farmers markets are the way forward as wellas buying what is in season:

http://eattheseasons.co.uk/

tins and dried versions are good - pulses and beans etc

also for berries the frozen ones are heaps cheaper and perfect for deserts and smoothies

also check out ; www.lovefoodhatewaste.com and you will never throw anything away

use a slow cooker and cook in bulk and freeze - your veg will not go off as they will be frozen and cooked :smile:

Good luck it can be done

also try not too buy too much plan what fruit and veg you need for the week and only buy that so as not to waste anything
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I hear this complaint a lot, but I have found my grocery/food bills overall have gone down quite a bit.

This.

Family of three with the kiddo moving from free food to real food and still our grocery bill has dropped significantly since this time last year.... enough so that I've been ^%$ing about my lack of fuel reward points. LOL.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I found coupons for 50 cents off strawberries! That helped this week since they were already on sale. But I agree healthy foods are expensive. However, try planning your meals for 1-2 weeks ahead of time. I find that's helping me a ton. Find meals that use the other half of that pepper you bought for one meal, etc. Also beans are super cheap in bulk. You can freeze most of them too. So make a batch and freeze some for later use. I find frozen black beans work great for quesadillas etc. :)
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Here's the link for the coupon for Driscoll berries if they sell that brand in your area. Just sign up for their newsletter and the coupon comes to your inbox. Yeah it's 50 cents off but every little bit adds up.

http://www.driscolls.com/email/
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I find it costs us way more to eat like crap then it does to eat healthy. I always complain about our grocery prices, but if it stops us from buying all the junk I guess I shouldn't.
  • Gennienm
    Gennienm Posts: 14
    Options
    Just a note here, most have posted what I would say, but my thought is ;

"I would rather spend my money of healthy foods now and not on the medical bills for eating unheathy "

Frozen cherries are wonderful . . .I prefer fresh, but sometimes we have to make the cheaper way work on healthy items.

I went to the local mega club here and no BlueBerries :grumble: to be found ($4.00 for 20 oz) , but wonderful cantelopes in season (4.00 for two) needless to say I wanted blueberries, but got the melons. Will enjoy the change . :grumble: Still spent the same amount of money when you think about it. :bigsmile:
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As the OP is also in the UK, have you tried Aldi supermarket. They often have 59p deals on fruit and veg - if you don't mind only going for those (they change weekly so you do rotate) then thats cheap.
    6 kiwi for 59p - 3 kiwi for the price of a bag of crisps.

Its always been the way, fat, sugar, salt are cheap.

After 1 week I eat less portion size than I used to, so if I keep it up then I'll eat small healthy portions :happy:
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Do you know how much monthly supplies of medications cost? Even with health care insurance, when you add up all the co-pays, it's a hefty chunk of change! All this money you invest in healthy foods vs cheap unhealthy products is paying off in the long run! Would you rather spend a few extra dollars (or pounds in your case) and be healthy, or eat cheap food, but also pay for five to six medications a month to control your blood pressure, diabetes, acid reflux, and impotence? I would rather choose the former. This is the way I look at it when I read that grocery bill. I walk away with a smile knowing I'm saving on prescription medications.....
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We do our local farmer's market. And this year we put in a "square foot garden." It's one of those raised bed garden boxes that is so easy to plant and maintain -- no weeds, easy watering and picking, and we can do it year after year.

We have a 3 foot x 3 foot square bed and have it packed with peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and herbs. The plants were only a couple of dollars at our local market, so they were organically grown and already starting to mature when we put them in the ground, so we had veggies FAST.

Doesn't solve the fruit issue, but could free up some $ for the pricier fruit at the store! :)
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    We do our local farmer's market. And this year we put in a "square foot garden." It's one of those raised bed garden boxes that is so easy to plant and maintain -- no weeds, easy watering and picking, and we can do it year after year.

We have a 3 foot x 3 foot square bed and have it packed with peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and herbs. The plants were only a couple of dollars at our local market, so they were organically grown and already starting to mature when we put them in the ground, so we had veggies FAST.

Doesn't solve the fruit issue, but could free up some $ for the pricier fruit at the store! :)

Awesome idea!