Binge eaters

Options
Being new to MFP I hesitate to put this out there so soon, but for full disclosure I suffer from BED. I managed to deal with it pretty well during my weight loss journey and for the first part of maintenance. Well it got the better of me the last few months and I've gained 10 lbs back. I'm back on track now and very motivated to lose it, but I'm terrified once it's gone I'll lose focus again. I don't want to deal with this the rest of my life, but I've done a lot of research and spent a lot of time om different forums and it seems a bit hopeless. Does anyone have any tips or success stories?

I have a plan in mind for when I hit maintenance and I know it will work for me, but I don't really want to verbalize it because I don't want to question it, I think that's where I went wrong in the first place.

Anyway just looking for some input. Thanks.

Replies

• fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The support here has helped me, as I also binge eat. Even did so tonight, unfortunately. Just don't expect perfection from yourself and you'll be okay. Hugs.:heart:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've looked at your accomplishments and you are amazing! Losing weight after a baby and then running a half! That's awesome. Just pick youself up after you binge try to recognize what triggered it and be vigilant about it. Eat healthy and take care of yourself. And be really proud of what you have done! Congrats!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing, I am less than 10 lbs from my goal and nervous about maintenance :/
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am the same way :( I run a lot of races too, have my first marathon this year in fact, but I just enjoy food too much, and while I eat lots of healthy, whole foods and no processed (very limited), I always OVEReat and finish what is in front of me. Plus, I'll have a beer or some wine, and go, ahh, what the heck? I am sorry I am no help, but if you figure something out, I'd love to know. I seriously need to run to maintain my weight! And I'm really good for a while, but then I fall back off, sound familiar? :( Good luck!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I was also a binge eater, I suffered with BED since I was 8. It has always been linked to depression for me. It was kind of like a "fat *kitten*" thing from austin powers lol, i ate because i was sad, and i was sad because i ate. =P I think one of the big issues was, everytime I had a binge attack, I would fall into a depression, because I felt so guilty and so disgusting for eating the way I did, and I would beat myself up over it, which made me more depressed and I just didn't care and needed more food and it would just turn into a vicious cycle, of eating out of guilt, and i was guilty because of how i ate. i think one of the most important things for me, have been learning to NOT beat myself up over little slips. it's okay if you mess up a little, just jump back on the horse, it's already in the past. i also cut out some of the worst culprits. i don't believe in cutting out the foods you enjoy because that can lead to big slips as well, but there are certain foods I only eat at parties, and even then, rarely; like anything entemanns, cake, cookies, chips, fast food, candy (which i'll treat myself to a little bit once a month lol), because these were my biggest problems, these were the foods i lost control with, and it's just easier with them mostly out of the picture.

another thing that helped me, personally, with my binge eating, was learning to loveeeeeeee food. before i thought i loved food, but i didn't, i abused it. i loved eating, i didn't love food. i've learned to love food, and respect it, the flavors, the quality, the balance, the texture, etc. I enjoy food so much that I don't want to just eat and eat. I certainly don't want to abuse it. I want it to be special when I eat something I really really like. I savor it. I don't know if that sounds weird but that's what worked for me. and when i don't like something now, i don't want to eat it. why eat those calories if you're not completely happy with it? i can't settle for something i'm not thoroughly enjoying. i no longer eat for the hell of it. i don't know if this will help you, it helped me, but you have to find what will work for you. best of luck!
  • scouter318
    scouter318 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    funny, i just finished reading this article (it's got a lot of good links too) when i saw this post.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/binge_eating_disorder.htm

my binge eating is triggered when i visit my family, which is nearly every other weekend, though some weekends are better than others. i eat until i feel absolutely sick and am so uncomfortable and disgusted with myself. it's almost like an out of body experience where i see myself doing it and feel powerless to stop it. i do well when i'm at home and feel like a recovering heroin addict in a family of drug pushers when i'm with them. sadly, i've learned that i can't really turn to them for support as they just laugh it off and don't understand the struggle i have. oh - and i don't compulsively eat when i'm around them because i'm depressed. often times it's because we're having a good time, chatting and laughing around the table. when i get home, i try to be kind to myself and get back on track, but it's like one step forward, two steps back.

i'd also love to hear some practical tips that don't include using "will power"!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi I am brand new to this site and just came across your post about binge eating.....well you are not alone! I do it too. I secret eat too. I dont have any ideas or helpful hints for you but I just wanted to say that you look great and your accomplishments are amazing and inspiring!
    I have always wanted to be a runner. I have signed up for a 1/2 marathon for October but as of right now my knees hurt too much to run. I hope to lose the weight and then it will be less painful to run
    Anyways keep up the great work and just remember you are not alone
    Heather
    nursenelson
  • mhairi_e_mckenzie
    Options
    Hi,

I completely understand where you're coming from as I went from no eating at all for a couple of years to then binge eating afterwards, so have never had a healthy relationship with food.

The two main things that really helped me were:

1. Making myself eat 3 meals a day, regardless of how big or small they are to give me structure, and a snack at 11am and around 3/4pm whether that be a piece of fruit or some snack-a-jacks. Doesn't prevent the boredom munchies, but really helped stop the truly massive binges.

2. Giving up dairy - I had to do this as my acne was getting really bad and read it helped. I know nothing is a miracle cure, however it cleared up my skin and meant that even when I binged I never went OTT with the sugar, which definitely makes a binge worse and more frequent as your body gets addicted to it... For me there was only so many haribo or crisps I could eat before I felt ill (nothing compared to the amount of chocolate I used to be able to eat!) I know it's not for everyone, but it has given me another level of structure which has definitely helped...

Good luck!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone. I guess I'm just frustrated to have lost all this weight and made all these changes to my life and still struggle. I was under no disillusion that weight loss would solve "everything" but man food issues are a toughy. I guess I just have to keep fighting, persistence was key for weight loss, I imagine it's the same with coping with binging.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have recently figured out that I am a food addict. I have always loved food and recently I have no control. I have been reading on food addictions and this is ME! It's just like a drug addict craves drugs and an alcoholic craves booze - I crave food. I think about food all the time.
    I am currently reading “Why Can’t I Stop Eating?” and it explains how the more of your “addictive item” you consume, the more you want/need it. It says sugar/carbs are included with morphine and cocaine in a list of “mind-active/mind-altering” drugs. You consume these things and they raise your happy feelings and then you want more to continue the feeling.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in total denial about food addiction, I know I need to go there, I'm just not sure I'm ready and I want to believe some day I can practice moderation - maybe like a social alcoholic:)
  • sleepthoughts
    Options
    I just wanted to nod my head in here as another binge eater. Ive only just started my journey and the majority of my weight gain has been from depression induced food binges. I would come home from work at midnight and eat thousands of calories before bed. That has started to change but I still struggle, with my last binge being 2 nights ago. It's good to know I'm not alone :)