How long will you count calories?

13»

Replies

• wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    If your knowledgeable about food there is no real need to micromanage a diet. I know that when i have pizza i'll have two slices at around 400 cals each. One chili dog instead of 2-3.. If you make smart choices there is no need but you need to first learn what smart choices are. If you haven't figured that out after 4-6 months of using the MFP phone app you never will. You have to be able to maintain without a baby sitter. Weight loss/management is long term ie a permanent lifestyle choices change.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    4ever.

I think of it as a bit of a game now though..... what can I do to stay within my calorie budget? If I only have X calories to "spend" on a meal or snack, how can I get the biggest bang for the buck? Maybe I can go for a short run to earn a couple extra hundred calories to spend on dessert tonight?

if we think it is druggery, we won't stick with it.... I say embrace the food diary :love:
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    until i can maintain my weight successfully without counting calories.
  • sallen67
    sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
    Forever because I am a poor judge of portions.

I don't ever want to gain my weight back and counting calories is what helps keep me honest.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    I make lists all the time, so this isn't a chore to me. I'm becoming aware of what foods give me energy, and what foods bring it down. I will probably always count calories. I never want to be as big as I am now ever again.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    I figured that I would do it for the rest of my life. And when I crunched the numbers (can't help it, I'm a high school math teacher with an MBA) I found that you dedicate what amounts to a couple days a year tracking and weighing. I'm pretty sure you'll extend your life more than two-thirds of a percent by ensuring you're maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I think I always will! I have lost a lot of weight before, but it crept back on. I want to make sure that doesn't happen again!

Though knowing roughly how many calories are in things is already second nature to me now, so maybe I'll just be mentally calculating them in the future instead of logging? Only time will tell!
  • NewLeafEats
    NewLeafEats Posts: 37 Member
    I've been on maintenance for a year. During that time I've counted off and on, mostly because I just like seeing a day full of good choices before me. Hahah. It's totally a vanity thing.

I've actually gained about 5-10 lbs from my lowest (before I decided to heck with it and started maintaining). Though I wouldn't call it "gaining it back." My body actually really needed those extra 5-10 lbs. While I didn't look underweight by any means, and my BMI was well within "normal" range, my metabolism just did not allow for that low of a body weight. I was hungry all the frickin' time, always upset that I couldn't keep my calories that low, upset that I felt like I couldn't even eat real portions of REAL food (I hate weighing fruit!), and I was spending most my evenings working out, and had no social life. It sucked. When I started nourishing my body and devoting more time to others, my weight just settled a few pounds higher, and my weight has been in the same five pound range for about 9 months now, with and without counting, and definitely without worrying about it. I call them my "happy pounds." :)

A few months ago I finally researched a supposed "healthy weight" that included body frame as a variable. I have a large frame, with about 115 lbs alone in lean body mass. I knew the normal BMI wouldn't be accurate for me. Lo, and behold, my lowest weight was considered "underweight" for my body, and the weight I am now is on the lower end of this "healthy range." I guess my body knew what it was doing. :)
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    I dont really "log" calories anymore( at least im trying not to). I still use the site because i love hearing what people have to say. I'm at the last 12 lbs-ish (currentyl 132)... so i would love to be able to get to a comfortable weight without obsessing over what goes into my body. If i can lose weight without the site, why can't I maintain without the site as well?
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    I enjoy looking at my eating history so I probably will do this calorie counting thing forever. It's not like I have trouble with my calories. I just find it fun to keep track of it.
  • I will count until I reach my goal, and stop when I feel comfortable. I do plan on weighing myself daily for the rest of my life, and if I go more than 4lbs out of my goal range I will count calories until I'm back to my goal weight and have maintained it long enough to feel comfortable.
  • FOREVER!! I do not think that it is "obsessive" because I eat what I want and keeping track is the ONLY way to keep myself accountable..... For LIFE :)
  • I enjoy looking at my eating history so I probably will do this calorie counting thing forever. It's not like I have trouble with my calories. I just find it fun to keep track of it.

Me too!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Now that I've started, I'm afraid I won't be able to go back to not thinking about it. I hope that one day I can just know what's good for me to eat and not worry about it. I will hopefully do that after I reach my goal.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm never going to stop. I feel like once I do, yeah I'll watch what I eat and my portions and still exercise but then I'll have a day of bad eating where I skip exercising and I won't be able to go back and SEE that day... so I'll do it again and again and again until I am back to over 200 pounds.

MFP keeps me accountable. It helps me. I mean, I go on facebook and check my email everyday, right? Why can't I continue to go on here everyday and log in my food? Just another social netoworking site to "waste time".... however, MFP is the most effective weight loss tool I have ever used! :) And it is lots more fun than facebook (I'm ready to delete mine, I hate seeing people from hs constantly complaining about their lives. I' prefer to read my MFP friend's NSVs!!!)

I think it is awesome if people no longer need to use this site.. that is such will power and determintation, especially if they keep the weight off and continue their healthy lifestyle. I, however, know my issues with food and MFP is gonna be by my side forever!
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm going to do it forever this time because whenever I've dieted in the past and reached my goal weight I slip so easily back into old habits.........this time I'm making the change for good. Exercise, a healthy diet and monitoring my calories so when I reach my goal weight I stay at my goal weight.