Reason why I don't always enjoy the summer.

Options
So I don't want to make this seem annoying. I just need to rant really because I just keep thinking about it over and over again, so I guess it's just better to get it out there. So here it is:
This past winter I lost about 5-8lbs making my weight at about 137lbs and I am 5'3 tall. My goal weight is 126lbs. That's all I've ever wanted really. I understand that I also want to have muscle, so if that means that I look and feel good at 130lbs, then so be it. BUT...its summer now. During the summer I'm not as strict with my eating, but I'm bike riding almost every day, at least 4-6 times a week. I love it, and this also means that I gain weight in muscle. I recently went on an unplanned vacation to Florida (where I did not work out for 10 days) and when I came back, I weighed 148lbs....ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE START AND EVEN FURTHER. I'm lost for words with how upset I am. I feel a whole year behind again. I hate the feeling of my belly roles, and to be completely honest, my stomach has been feeling really bloated lately. I've been drinking a lot of tea and eating Fiber One cereal, but I found the more I ate the Fiber One, the worse I felt. So....I'm thinking about dropping the cereal and maybe choose the 90 cal bars every once in a while. I still am planning on getting back to my daily routine of bike riding. I just feel ugly now. Completely ugly and fat. I was so proud of myself when my shorts and jeans were starting to get a little loose on me, but now my stomach just hangs over the button. I don't know what I should do anymore really. I go through this almost every year. I've always felt so alone in this. I'll ask people to do challenges with me and they never follow through for more than a week. I'm really determined to do something if someone is consistently challenging me. That's what has always made working out fun for me. I mean my boyfriend works out about 6 days of the week, but he lifts at a gym and I'm in the middle of no where with a bike. I love endurance, whereas he likes lifting. He also likes to talk about how much he worked out where I'm just sitting here feeling like a blob. I just want a young adult girl to be a work out buddy who would like to give me challenges CONSISTENTLY and together give support to each other. I thought I could do this alone, but I don't really see that starting without some help. But I don't have money for a personal trainer. Trust me, I've already looked into it. Feel free to leave a comment.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Don't despair - it's very common to gain a little temporary weight on vacation and drop it back off in a week.

Also, I get that bloated feeling premenstrually - might this be the case for you? Some women experience it when they ovulate as well. Many of us gain water weight at these times. I'm confident you haven't gained nearly as much fat as you are afraid of.

Might want to be stricter about your logging however, as you know this is an issue for you in the summer.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories in. Accurately & honestly eating at a deficit. Bike riding helps you stay fit and burn more calories (making a higher calorie goal per day possible).

Most likely you changed your eating habits also when you traveled, and some of the weight you see is water weight. Which will go away when you get back into your normal routine. But to lose the excess pounds, assess your daily calorie needs and then subtract 250-500. Eat that amount.

Having someone to talk to, who understands what you're dealing with, can be useful. Hopefully you'll find someone here in a similar situation as yours and you can keep each other accountable. Personally I'm a (slow) runner - not big on biking.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you have to start on your own - I downloaded an App called Zombies Run!
    I don't run mind you I walk... but it is FUN. It is like war of the worlds with Zombies while you go out and walk/run/bike around... it is set up in missions, and you have people who are "talking to you" through your headset while you listen to your music.
    That app along with MapMyWalk or MapMyRide (if you prefer biking) may give you the go to get up and go!

I look forward now to getting off the couch and going out just to see what is going to happen to me! (Runner 5)
    It really is a great app!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Ps - have you looked into the Challenges here on MFP? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think you are being REALLY hard on yourself for enjoying yourself on vacation and putting on a few pounds. You are not obese, but it's understandable that you're not happy with the weight gain. You need to just put it behind you and get busy again. You're new to MFP so look around on here. There's a ton of challenges you can join with other people. Doesn't have to be in person, you can find a buddy on here to do it with you! Maybe consider asking your bf to show you some of what he does and start out small with the weights at home. He might really get into helping you and lifting weights is fun!

I'm not judging what you're eating (since I don't know at all), but maybe you might consider eating more protein for breakfast (eggs, yogurt, peanut butter) instead of the Fiber One. That stuff just never agreed with me, so perhaps not great for you either.
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    MeganMeCrazy247 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories in. Accurately & honestly eating at a deficit. Bike riding helps you stay fit and burn more calories (making a higher calorie goal per day possible).

Most likely you changed your eating habits also when you traveled, and some of the weight you see is water weight. Which will go away when you get back into your normal routine. But to lose the excess pounds, assess your daily calorie needs and then subtract 250-500. Eat that amount.

Having someone to talk to, who understands what you're dealing with, can be useful. Hopefully you'll find someone here in a similar situation as yours and you can keep each other accountable. Personally I'm a (slow) runner - not big on biking.

Thank you, that idea of cutting calories might help me.
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I think you are being REALLY hard on yourself for enjoying yourself on vacation and putting on a few pounds. You are not obese, but it's understandable that you're not happy with the weight gain. You need to just put it behind you and get busy again. You're new to MFP so look around on here. There's a ton of challenges you can join with other people. Doesn't have to be in person, you can find a buddy on here to do it with you! Maybe consider asking your bf to show you some of what he does and start out small with the weights at home. He might really get into helping you and lifting weights is fun!

I'm not judging what you're eating (since I don't know at all), but maybe you might consider eating more protein for breakfast (eggs, yogurt, peanut butter) instead of the Fiber One. That stuff just never agreed with me, so perhaps not great for you either.

Reply: Sadly this is my 5 or 6th account I've made. I keep deleting my account because I feel like once I'm comfortable with how I'm eating I don't need to keep track anymore and then I give up and use the app again. And I have ate egg whites in the or Peanutbutter in the morning but I don't realize the big difference besides feeling bloated. I've tried so many different techniques idk now
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Don't despair - it's very common to gain a little temporary weight on vacation and drop it back off in a week.

Also, I get that bloated feeling premenstrually - might this be the case for you? Some women experience it when they ovulate as well. Many of us gain water weight at these times. I'm confident you haven't gained nearly as much fat as you are afraid of.

Might want to be stricter about your logging however, as you know this is an issue for you in the summer.

That's the weird thing! I haven't had my period for a little while. I know that sometimes whenever I lose weight quickly I can miss my period for 2 months. But I've been regular ever since I started to focus more on getting all of my nutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP I hear you, vacations are really rough for me too... We didn't go anywhere this year and I'm actually thankful because even when I really WANT to watch what I eat, it's sometimes impossible to stick to healthy options and avoid being hungry...

Just go back to it. Most people lose most of the vacation weight much faster than they think (I'm not one of those - haha).
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Any chance your pregnant? (please don't kill me....lol)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's the weird thing! I haven't had my period for a little while. I know that sometimes whenever I lose weight quickly I can miss my period for 2 months. But I've been regular ever since I started to focus more on getting all of my nutrients.

Have to checked to make sure you are not pregnant? With the missed period plus stomach bloat and weight gain it is just something to check out.

It sounds like you are inconsistent/on and off dieter. If you track your food consistently without seasonal breaks, you will have success. Same with maintenance , you can't just stop watching what you eat every summer and expect to maintain your weight. This is something you may have to pay attention to forever (not necessarily weighing all foods forever, but always working on moderation and keeping calories in check).

Once you realize this is something you need to work on forever, it is not something to turn on and off, you may be able to make lifestyle changes you want to keep forever instead of making changes you can't keep.
  • MeganMeCrazy247
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Any chance your pregnant? (please don't kill me....lol)

Haha, well I really hope not!!! I mean it's only been a while. My tracker says I only have a few more days left!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Missed periods and sudden weight gain are a couple of symptoms of hypothyroidism. Might be something to ask your doctor about.