Is a daily treat a bad thing?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Not enough information given. How low is the OP going on daily calories. If a female is around the 1200 calories generally regarded as the minimum to get adequate nutrition, she probably doesn't have room in the diet for a daily treat. At the minimum calorie levels foods need to be nutritionally dense or health will suffer.

How is the OP telling you they have enough room in their daily calories and macros not telling you if they have enough room in their daily calories and macros?

Just in case you didn't actually read the whole post or just skimmed it too quick, I bolded where they gave you the info you say they didn't give you. Just because they didn't give you the actual numbers doesn't mean you can't trust they've done the math. It obviously means they thought to themselves, "Hey, I need to have X amount of calories left if I want to eat item A that happens to have X amount of calories."

So, I'm a super sugar addict. It's one of the biggest reasons I gained weight and thus, came here. I also don't have the total willpower necessary to just shut off the craving and say no 100% of the time. To compensate, I've been allowing myself to have 1 "sweet treat" at the end of each day if I was good and have enough room in my calories, carbs, fats and sugars (or if it will only put it over by 1 or 2 grams). However at work today, I was told that was cheating and basically was making the diet worthless. Should I take stick in what they said, or is what I'm doing okay? Just want to know if any of you have done/heard anything similar.

As far as anyone knows the op may be on a 1000 calorie a day diet. Not only is that bad but if she is using 2-300 of those calories on calorie dense low nutrition food it's double bad.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost all of my weight allowing daily treats as long as they fit into my calorie and nutrition goals. The important thing is to find what works best for you.

I've lost 164 lbs doing the same thing. I find that few people are truly happy eating exactly the same as anyone else. I don't bother to discuss specifics of what I do with others. My hubby knows what works for me & is supportive & doesn't get in the way. Same for my two teenage/young adult kids. That's all I need. When people ask questions, I answer, but more often than not with generalities. If people want to talk specifics, I insert a "all kinds of things work for people- it's all different" & try to get them to talk about their ideas. I don't mind sharing what I'm doing, but I also don't feel like I have to justify myself to anyone who asks.

If it works for you, you're fine. I've found learning to be sensible about sugary treats very freeing. Don't let others' opinions bother you too much.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Huh? What? Why would you listen to the opinions of people that you work with?

As long as your treat fits into your daily calorie goals - you're good. I have a vodka soda every night, that I leave room for in my calorie intake. Keeps me motivated to be careful about what I eat :)
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet every night as well, whether it's chocolate, ice cream, twizzlers, whatevs. You gotta TREAT YOSELF! Also, OP, I love your portrait, I just evolved an Eevee into a Vaproeon today ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So, I'm a super sugar addict. It's one of the biggest reasons I gained weight and thus, came here. I also don't have the total willpower necessary to just shut off the craving and say no 100% of the time. To compensate, I've been allowing myself to have 1 "sweet treat" at the end of each day if I was good and have enough room in my calories, carbs, fats and sugars (or if it will only put it over by 1 or 2 grams). However at work today, I was told that was cheating and basically was making the diet worthless. Should I take stick in what they said, or is what I'm doing okay? Just want to know if any of you have done/heard anything similar.
    It's not cheating if it fits your calories.
    If that was the case, I wouldn't have lost almost 100lbs. I agree with WinoGelato's stellar post.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I have desert every dinner. Yet to see it sabotaging my weight loss. (Or breaking the laws of physics)
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    On most days, I pre-log all of my food for the day in the morning before breakfast. I ask my wife what we're having for dessert (it's usually something between 150 and 200 calories) and enter that first, then work backward through the day to make sure I hit my calorie goal. I've lost 40 pounds so far this year.
  • Bianica12691
    Bianica12691 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Zoe678 wrote: »
    I have something sweet every night as well, whether it's chocolate, ice cream, twizzlers, whatevs. You gotta TREAT YOSELF! Also, OP, I love your portrait, I just evolved an Eevee into a Vaproeon today ;)

Thank you! I almost cried when that evolution happened, lol.
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I give in to my temptations on a regular basis. The trick is moderation. I eat anything that I feel like. I regularly have Chinese and had pizza earlier this week. I'm down 85 pounds.. So I must be doing something right.
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in with your calorie intake for the day it's fine. I have a doughnut eveyday, that's my treat and I love them lol. I've lost a stone since April so what the hell. Have your treat ☺
  • gillis1118
    gillis1118 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a cheat, if it works for you, do it .... Changing our eating habits is for a lifetime - not a "diet"
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Not enough information given. How low is the OP going on daily calories. If a female is around the 1200 calories generally regarded as the minimum to get adequate nutrition, she probably doesn't have room in the diet for a daily treat. At the minimum calorie levels foods need to be nutritionally dense or health will suffer.

How is the OP telling you they have enough room in their daily calories and macros not telling you if they have enough room in their daily calories and macros?

Just in case you didn't actually read the whole post or just skimmed it too quick, I bolded where they gave you the info you say they didn't give you. Just because they didn't give you the actual numbers doesn't mean you can't trust they've done the math. It obviously means they thought to themselves, "Hey, I need to have X amount of calories left if I want to eat item A that happens to have X amount of calories."

As far as anyone knows the op may be on a 1000 calorie a day diet. Not only is that bad but if she is using 2-300 of those calories on calorie dense low nutrition food it's double bad.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest OP is on a 1000 calorie per day diet nor that her planned treats are any specific size.

I know there's not, because she never said how much she's eating. That's why my first post said, not enough information
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I wouldn't take nutrition advice from randoms at work seriously.

As opposed to randoms on an Internet forum :) .

The OP is looking for advice. She apparently asked people at work who she knows and they gave their opinion as people are doing here. There is no indication anyone advising her is any sort of medical professional that would make someone's advice "better/more informed"

Nothing wrong with listening to thoughts/experiences of others, doing research and forming your own opinion.
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have one square of milk chocolate every day. I'm sure those calories would be better used eating broccoli or something more nutrient dense; but I love chocolate and having a little bit every day keeps me on track. If I start saying I can't have sugar ever then it only makes me more like to overindulge when I eventually do have sugar.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are these the same people who "diet" harshly and excessively, reach goal (or give up because it's too hard), then gain everything back when they give a huge sigh of relief and go back to eating "normally"?

Finding a way to fit in treats without eating too much and while still getting in proper nutrition is a really good skill to practice in preparation for the ultimate goal of maintenance.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's not Bad. I have a big sweet tooth too so I can relate, however I keep it in check. Maybe a roll of smarties, or a low fat low sugar ice cream sandwich, a diet soda, Powerade zero ect. Those are a few of my favorites. If you have enough calories you could do like a fun size candy bar. If you start swapping treats for granola bars or other breakfast bars you can start to decrease the treats you want. Good luck!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of sugar too, I have ice cream almost every day, but it fits my calorie goals and I haven't regained any of the 80 lost pounds. I actually removed "sugar" from my food diary, as I really don't care or worry about it. Replaced sugar with "iron".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Doesn't sound like cheating to me.
    I managed to lose over 1/2 of current body weight and have kept it off for over 2-1/2 years so far, by allowing myself to have a treat everyday for staying within my calories. Works for me and sounds like it is working for you OP. Sustainability is key for maintaining for me.

PS I would have failed, and gone back to my morbidly obese ways, long ago, if not for my daily treat. Denial does not work for me. Moderation in all foods and portion control is what keeps me from gaining the weight back.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    grazer432 wrote: »
    I have one square of milk chocolate every day. I'm sure those calories would be better used eating broccoli or something more nutrient dense; but I love chocolate and having a little bit every day keeps me on track. If I start saying I can't have sugar ever then it only makes me more like to overindulge when I eventually do have sugar.

I have never met anyone in real life that is happy/satisfied with just one square of chocolate. MFP is the only place I've ever heard of people doing this, and it makes me :huh: every time i read it.
    I'm not having a go at you, infact I'm super impressed and jealous that 1 piece of chocolate keeps you happy and that you are able to stop at one :smile: