Drinking more water to cancel out sodium

Options
So I have a really hard time cutting back on sodium and usually I'm over what I should be for the day. However, I drink a LOT of water. I'm continuously reading on other topics here that every time someone gains weight or had too much sodium to "drink more water to flush it out". If I drink more than 8 cups of water a day will my extra sodium affect me less?

Replies

• Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Bruzzeseangel
    Options
    Anyone?
  • thejessjones
    thejessjones Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you are drinking a ton of water all day, every day, you actually NEED sodium to replenish what all the water 'washes away'... Sodium isn't the worst thing to go over on in a given day, unless you have high blood pressure. (Mine tends to run low).
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you are drinking a ton of water all day, every day, you actually NEED sodium to replenish what all the water 'washes away'... Sodium isn't the worst thing to go over on in a given day, unless you have high blood pressure. (Mine tends to run low).

This. Also, how's your potassium intake? More important than just milligrams of sodium, is the ratio of sodium to potassium. http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/23/health/he-sodium23
  • Bruzzeseangel
    Options
    Wow, so I ust checked my potassium intake on my phone (for some reason I can't seem to get it to pull up online) and I'm not even getting half the amount of potassium I should be getting. Looks like I need to look into more ways to eat some natural potassium!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is a very good question