Breastfeeding and Calorie Intake

Options
I'm trying to get this straight while breast-feeding exclusively. I'm using breasfeeding exclusively as a food for -300 calories. So, my totals subtract that amount of calories, plus my exercise.

I am allotted 1200.
I add 300 for Breastfeeding
I workout and burn about 300 calories

Yesterday my goal was 1530 (I burned 330 in exercise). I then added the -300 to my snacks and ate according to what it asked me to. So, my intake should be 1830 calories correct?

Ladies who have done this, did you notice a supply decrease when you started working out??

Replies

• slhastings
    slhastings Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did notice a difference in my supply when I started working out. I ended up giving a bottle during the late afternoon feeding when my supply was running low. Now that I've been working out for about 2 months, I've started giving a bottle half the time and breastfeeding the other half...not sure if it's because I'm working out or maybe it's just time to give bottles....hope this helps.
  • lmarcia
    lmarcia Posts: 27
    Options
    Can I ask how old your little one is?
  • seekingbodilypeace
    Options
    I've nursed two through a lot. If you're having problems with supply, remember that is a supply and demand thing...the more the baby nurses--the more you make. If you start supplementing with formula/bottles, you risk decreasing your supply even more. If your baby is at the breast there is no way to know if your supply has, in fact decreased, other than failure to gain weight, etc.

I've found that when it comes to exercise--it had no effect on my supply. Be sure to drink plenty of water and you will be fine :)