Does it REALLY matter how my workout schedule's laid out?

Options
Does it matter what muscle groups are worked on what day? Say I worked out every other day. 1 day arms / shoulders, one day back / abs, & 1 day butt / thigh / legs, with yoga on the occasional 4th day. Can I repeat the cycle or should I change it up every once in awhile?

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    As long as you're giving those muscle groups time to rest, then you can use whatever layout you want. It usually takes a max of 48 hours for muscles to fully recover.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It does matter but if it's intelligently put together you don't have to change for change's sake
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Regarding order of exercise: doesn't matter. A split routine (working specific muscle groups separately) is what a lot of bodybuilders use to limit fatigue, while using heavier weight. However, a lot of people use full body routines because they want to expend more energy during each workout. What matters most is having enough available complete amino acids in your system during the 12-48 hrs after lifting, and giving your muscles adequate recovery time.

Regarding routine cycle: definitely change your routine every 4-6 weeks. The human body is an incredibly adaptable machine. Progress will slow as soon as the body adapts to your routine.